LevelCollection
Finding NoSC/1
TitleSCAWSBY COLLEGE OF EDUCATION RECORDS
DescriptionComprising: copy minutes of the board of governors 1960-1976 and academic council 1960-1976; minutes of evidence to the House of Commons select committee on teacher training 1970; returns to central government 1961-1967; subject files 1960-1976; photographs 1961-1962; materials collected for college history 1960-1976
Date1960-1976
Extent11 boxes (0.176 cubic metres)
Access StatusOpen
AdminHistoryIn January 1961, the West Riding County Council opened the Swinton Day Training College in adapted premises which had originally been built as Swinton Secondary School. The college had initially been approved by the Ministry of Education for a period of six years in response to the severe shortage of teachers in the area. Recruitment was aimed at older men and women who were unable to go away to train because of personal and domestic commitments.

The college moved to purpose-built premises at Scawsby, two miles north-west of Doncaster in 1967. It retained its emphasis on the training of older students. In 1974, on the reorganisation of local government and the abolition of the West Riding County Council, the college passed under the control of the newly-established Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council. The new council also inherited a teacher training college at High Melton (which had opened in 1949) from the former Doncaster County Borough Council. The college closed in 1976 when the Doncaster Metropolitan Institute of Higher Education was created, amalgamating further and higher education in line with government policy expressed in the Department of Education and Science circular 7/73.

Of particular interest to the history of the college are memoranda by the Principal in 1973 and 1975 [see 2/17 and 2/18] and the evidence and memoranda submitted to the House of Commons Select Committee on Teacher Training which visited Scawsby College in 1970 [see 2/14-16].
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020