RefNoACM/MAPS/12
TitleParish of Sheffield - Nether Hallam Township
DescriptionNether Hallam township stretched from Crookesmoor to Owlerton. Both on Crookesmoor and in the open fields its territory was interspersed with that of Ecclesall Bierlow. The fields at Crookes were still in strips (many of them enclosed) when the Township was mapped for the Parliamentary enclosure in 1791; they are shown on several surviving maps, for example, ACM/MAPS/SheD/832. The township was re-mapped in 1795 after the enclosure (see S 91). Nether Hallam was largely a rural area except along the banks of the Don and Loxley where there were wheels for various works; (ACM/MAPS/SheD/818) shows in some detail the little industrial settlement at Owlerton. There are several maps of farms consisting of enclosed fields. In the farmstead of one (ACM/MAPS/SheD/829) was a tanyard; tanning was an industry which made the wealth of several Sheffield families. The old Waterworks were in this area and are shown in (ACM/MAPS/EWa/60). Enclosure in this township raised considerable opposition, which is considered to be the reason for the erection of the Barracks in 1795 (ACM/MAPS/SheD/825, ACM/MAPS/SheS/2071). After the enclosure award the Duke let several small plots for various purposes, among them one for the Nether Hallanl Workhouse (ACM/MAPS/SheD/834)
Date1726 - [1916]
Extent34 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020