RefNoBTP
TitleBishop Taylor, Bishop of Sheffield, 1962 - 1971
AdminHistoryPapers of Bishop (Francis) John Taylor, the third Bishop of Sheffield 1962 – 1971. Bishop Taylor was born on 13 Nov 1912, in Boston, Lincolnshire, and died in Jul 1971. A graduate of Queens College, Oxford (Modern History), and Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, Bishop Taylor was curate at Walcot (Bath and Wells) from 1936 – 1938, before returning to Wycliffe as tutor, lecturer and chaplain, until 1942. He then became Vicar of Christ Church, Claughton, Birkenhead, Cheshire, until 1954, then vicar of St. Andrews, Oxford, and tutor of Wycliffe, for one year, before being made Principal of Wycliffe in 1955. He remained at Wycliffe until 1962, when he was appointed Bishop of Sheffield. He resigned from the Episcopate in Apr 1971, through ill health, and died in July of that year. Bishop Taylor wrote many works, the most important of which is The Church of God published by Canterbury Press 1946.

The papers consist of rough notes for sermons, and typescript copies of sermons and lectures, in Bishop Taylor’s hand, printed copies of pamphlets by Bishop Taylor, newspaper cuttings concerning him, and a series of letters between Bishop Taylor, and Archdeacon Hayman Johnson (Archdeacon of Sheffield). The letters cover the years from their undergraduate days in Oxford, until Bishop Taylor’s resignation (1933 – 1971).

Canon John de Satgé had already consulted these papers, in writing an article entitled “F. J. Taylor, Bishop of Sheffield,” published in Theology, volume 77, number 648, June 1974. Canon John de Satgé complied an index of the first 394 letters, giving a synopsis of their contents. His numbering has been slightly changed for the final listing.
DescriptionCorrespondence from Bishop Taylor to Archdeacon Johnson 1933 - 1971 (BTP/1).

Manuscript and typescript copies of sermons and lectures given by Bishop Taylor, including many rough notes c. 1940 - 1970 (BTP/2).

Printed pamphlets 1943 - 1961 (BTP/3).

Newspaper Cuttings 1947 - 1971 (BTP/4).

Miscellaneous 1956 - 1970 (BTP/5).

The Barker Report 1966 (BTP/6).
Datec. 1932 - 1970
Extent1,049 files
AccessStatusRestricted
AccessConditionsWritten permisson to view these records must be obtained from Bishop (Francis) John Taylor's daughter. Ask staff for more details.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield Archives:

Printed booklets by Francis John Taylor, Bishop of Sheffield (MD8235).

Sheffield City Council, Lord Mayor's Office: Correspondence regarding Sheffield Cathedral, etc 1948 - 1966 (CA215).

Lord Mayor's diary - Percival Cyril John Taylor Kirkman May 1962 - May 1963 (CA656/19).

Royal grant to elect another Bishop: Elizabeth 2nd to Provost and Chapter of Cathedral Church of Sheffield and signed royal appointment of Right Reverend Francis John Taylor, Principal of Wycliffe Hall, Oxford 28 May 1962 (PR138/26/18).

Correspondence and papers relating to arrangements for enthronement of Bishop of Sheffield (Right Reverend John Taylor) 1962 - 1963 (PR138/27/40).

Correspondence and papers relating to fundraising for purchase of house in Oxford for Bishop John Taylor 1971 (PR138/27/47).

Sheffield Industrial Mission 1954 - 1962 (X166).

Sheffield Local Studies:

Official opening and dedication of St John (Park) Church of England (Aided) School by the Lord Bishop of Sheffield, the Right Reverend Francis John Taylor, on Friday, 20th June, 1969 (PAMP 147/1 and PAMP 147/2).

Handicapped Persons Centre, Psalter Lane, Sheffield : official opening by the Lord Bishop of Sheffield, the Right Reverend Francis John Taylor, M.A., on Thursday, 12th November, 1964 (PAMP 5/1 and PAMP 5/2).

Official opening and dedication of Woodhouse Parish Hall and the unveiling of a memorial plaque by the Rt. Rev. F. J. Taylor, Lord Bishop of Sheffield, Saturday, 18th January, 1969 : souvenir handbook, J. Higham (PAMP 507).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019