RefNoCA754
TitleSheffield United Gas Light Company copy plans, 1872
AdminHistoryThese 20th century acetate copies of original plans for the Sheffield United Gas Light Company's new offices in Commercial Street, dating from 1872, were transferred to Sheffield Archives by the Sheffield City Council Planning Department in September 1997. They are copies of originals held by the East Midlands Gas Board, Sheffield & Rotherham Division.

The Sheffield United Gas Light Company was formed by Act of Parliament in 1844, when the Gas Works at Sheaf Bridge (established 1818) and the New Gas Works on Long Island at the end of Effingham Street (established 1836) were amalgamated..

The new offices were designed by M E Hadfield & Son and were opened on 3 May 1875, at a cost of £25,000. It was described at the time as "a Venetian type of the early Renaissance architecture" and the integrated heating and ventilation system seems to have been a key element in the design. There are references to the system made on the plans (the originals of which are in colour).
[See White's Sheffield & District Directory, 1876 p.90-91 for further contemporary description.]

The building, although listed, was recommended for demolition in the early 1970s and a public enquiry was held which resulted in the building being saved.
DescriptionArchitectural plans
Date[20th cent]
Extent10 sheets
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019