RefNoCOAL/CMC
TitleCarlton Main Colliery Company Limited (and predecessors) (Hatfield, Hodroyd, Brierley, Ferrymoor, South Elmsall, Grimethorpe and Frickley Collieries)
AdminHistoryIn November 1872 the Yorkshire and Derbyshire Coal and Iron Company Limited was formed (incorporated on 29th November 1872), established by James Addy and William Wake. An area of 2,133 acres of Barnsley Bed Coal was acquired at Carlton, near Barnsley and the sinking of two shafts to this coal was commenced shortly afterwards, the Earl of Wharncliffe turning the first sod. Mr Wake became the first Chairman of the Company whilst Mr Addy was Secretary (becoming the company's first Managing Director of the Company in 1896).

The Colliery at Carlton (equipped for an output of 350,000 tons per annum) first drew coal in 1876. By 1896 the Grimethorpe Colliery Company was acquired from the Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited and in February 1900 the Yorkshire and Derbyshire Coal and Iron Company Limited (with its colliery at Carlton) and the Grimethorpe Colliery Company Limited were formed into one company under the name of The Carlton Main Colliery Company Limited with a capital of £410,000.

The early twentieth century saw expansion within the company - in 1903 sinking commenced at Frickley whilst the colliery at Carlton was abandoned in 1909. The Hodroyd Coal Company Limited, Barnsley (which owned two small collieries at Brierley and Ferrymoor) was purchased in 1919. The Llay Main Collieries limited (near Wrexham) was acquired in early 1926 whilst 1927 saw the purchase of the Hatfield Main Colliery Company Limited.

By 1951 the Carlton Group headed by the Carlton Main Colliery Company owned many companies:

The Hodroyd Coal Company Limited; The Llay Main Collieries Limited; The Hatfield Main Colliery Company Limited; The Carlton Collieries Association; The Ruabon Coal and Coke Company Limited; The Carlton Collieries Mutual Indemnity Society Limited.

Subsidiaries under Carlton Holdings Limited included:

Timber & Wood (Hull) Limited; Carlton Main Brickworks Limited; Pearson and Moody Limited; Broadhead Transport Company Limited; Middlebrook & Philpott (Morley) Limited; Frank Obank Limited; Metcalfe and Vickers Limited; Stanley Beall Limited; Black Diamond Transport Company Limited; Brownroyd Service Garage Limited; R. Dennison and Sons Limited; Building and Contractors Company Limited.

Associated Companies included:

Rea Limited; Timber & Wood (Merseyside) Limited; Firbeck Timber Company Limited; Rafferty and Watson (Inland) Limited.

Despite apparent prosperity, the Carlton Main Colliery Company went into voluntary liquidation in early 1952 and was officially liquidated ten years later on 1st August 1962.
DescriptionCarlton Collieries Mutual Indemnity Society Limited, 1923 - 1948 (COAL/CMC/1)

Hatfield Main Colliery Company Limited, [1911] - 1948 (COAL/CMC/2)

Hodroyd Coal Company Limited, 1906 - 1946 (COAL/CMC/3)

Carlton Main Colliery Company Limited, manpower survey of South Elmsall Colliery, 1946 (COAL/CMC/4)

Carlton Main Colliery Company Limited, Workmen’s inspections at Brierley, Frickley, Grimethorpe and Hatfield Collieries, 1942 - 1946 (COAL/CMC/5)

Carlton Main Colliery Company Limited, Colliery managers’ reports, 1943 - 1946 (COAL/CMC/6)

Papers regarding the sale of Ferrymoor Farm, 1919 - 1943 (COAL/CMC/7)

Wage terms and home coal [Carlton Main Colliery Company Limited], 1926 (COAL/CMC/8)
Date1906 - 1948
Extent155 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:

Records of Carlton Main Colliery Company Limited, 1872 - 1962 (MD4080-5005; MD4024)

For records relating to Hodroyd, Grimethorpe, Frickley and Hatfield collieries post-1947 see the National Coal Board collection (BCC).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020