RefNoCOAL/DMC
TitleDalton Main Collieries Limited (Roundwood and Silverwood Collieries)
AdminHistoryThe Roundwood and Dalton Colliery Company Company was formed in 1898. The new company acquired the long-established Roundwood Colliery at Parkgate and a piece of land between Thrybergh and Ravenfield, known as Silverwood, to sink a new colliery and build a railway.

In Dec 1899 the Dalton Main Collieries Limited was formed.

The sinking of two shafts at Silverwood Colliery commenced in 1900 with the East Pit reaching the Barnsley seam in 1903, and coal winding commenced at the West Pit in 1905. Coking ovens were installed at the colliery along with a tar distillation plant and a brickworks. The colliery was visited in 1912 by King George V (and later Queen Elizabeth II in 1975). A major reconstruction scheme was undertaken at Silverwood between 1953 and 1962. The colliery closed in 1995.

Roundwood Colliery ceased production in 1931.

Dalton Main Collieries Limited retained ownership of Silverwood Colliery until nationalisation in 1947.
DescriptionAccident books, Dalton Main Coking Plant, Silverwood, 1924 - 1955 (COAL/DMC/1)

Circulars from the South Yorkshire Coal Owners’ Association, 1946 - 1947 (COAL/DMC/2)

Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Yorkshire Coal Exchange, 1938 (COAL/DMC/3-4)

Correspondence etc. relating to the Royal Commission on the Coal Industry, 1925 - 1926 (COAL/DMC/5)

Register of all male employees over 16 years, Dalton Main Collieries Limited - coke ovens [Silverwood], bye-products and sulphuric acid, 1914 - 1918 (COAL/DMC/6)
Date1924 - 1955
Extent16 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:

Silverwood Colliery records, 1947 - 1994 (BCC/17/14)

Photographs of Silverwood Colliery (including royal visit, 1975), 1950s - 1980s (BCC/20)

Silverwood Colliery Civil Defence scheme, 1964 (BCC/16/11/6)

Pit files, Silverwood Colliery, 1992 (BCC/15/5/5)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021