RefNoCOAL/MIT
TitleMitchell Main Colliery Company Limited (Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries)
AdminHistoryThe Mitchell Main Colliery Company was registered in 1883.

The company owned Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries.

Darfield Main Colliery was situated at Low Valley midway between Wombwell and Darfield village, four miles south east of Barnsley. Sinking of two shafts began in 1856, reaching the Barnsley Bed in 1860. Prior to nationalisation, the colliery was owned by a number of colliery companies including: the Darfield Coal Company, Shipley Collieries and the Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited who owned the colliery immediately prior to nationalisation in 1947. In 1986, Darfield was merged with Houghton Main and finally closed in 1989.

Mitchell Main Colliery was situated two thirds of a mile to the west and was a rival to Darfield until the two collieries were merged in the early 1900s. Mitchell Main closed in 1956, reverting to pumping and became known as Mitchell Pumping Shafts.
DescriptionThe records relate to Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries.

EMPLOYEE RECORDS:
Signing-on books, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1881 - 1956 (COAL/MIT/1)

Registers of workmen, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1923 - 1938 (COAL/MIT/2)

Summary of men employed and shifts worked, Mitchell Main Colliery, 1915 - 1941 (COAL/MIT/3)

Summary of men and boys employed, Darfield Main Colliery, 1901 - 1936 (COAL/MIT/4)

Register of male persons aged 13 and under 16 employed underground, Mitchell Main Colliery, 1874 - 1912 (COAL/MIT/4a)

Registers of accidents, Mitchell Main Colliery, 1928 - 1958 (COAL/MIT/5)

Weekly wage sheets, Mitchell Main Colliery, 1946 (COAL/MIT/6)

ACCOUNTS:
Coals drawn, Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries, 1928 - 1950 (COAL/MIT/7)

Cash books, Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries, 1883 - 1937 (COAL/MIT/8)

Cost books, Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries, 1908 - 1945 (COAL/MIT/9)

Journals, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1883 - 1927 (COAL/MIT/10)

Transfer journals, Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries, 1883 - 1924 (COAL/MIT/11)

Sundry sales, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1931 - 1933 (COAL/MIT/12)

Accounting ledgers, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1883 - 1922 (COAL/MIT/13)

Accounts, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1883 - 1922 (COAL/MIT/14)

OTHER:
Particulars of leases, Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries, [19th - 20th cent] (COAL/MIT/15-16)

Royalty records, Mitchell Main Colliery, 1873 - 1955 (COAL/MIT/18)

Wagon weigh, daily totals, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1941 - 1947 (COAL/MIT/19)

Share ledger, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, [19th - 20th cent] (COAL/MIT/20)

Memorandum and Articles of Association, Mitchell Main Colliery Company Limited, 1885 - 1927 (COAL/MIT/21)

Bye-laws to be observed by workmen, Mitchell Main Colliery (COAL/MIT/22)

Agreement regarding laying of pipes, 1904 (COAL/MIT/23)

Information supplied by the Company when objecting to tonnage rates, 1927 - 1928 (COAL/MIT/24)

Returns of the Company to rating authorities, 1928 (COAL/MIT/25)

Particulars supplied by the Company for mineral rights duty, 1929 (COAL/MIT/26)

Pit meeting minutes, Mitchell Main Colliery, 1947 - 1951 (COAL/MIT/27)

Canteen minutes, Mitchell Main Colliery, 1943 - 1953 (COAL/MIT/28)

Miscellaneous papers, 1900 - 1947 (COAL/MIT/29)

Pithead prices schedule, 1930 - 1942 (COAL/MIT/30)

Minutes regarding change of method of working the Fenton seam, 1943 (COAL/MIT/31)
Date1871 - 1955
Extent117 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:

For records relating to Mitchell and Darfield Main Collieries post-1947 see the National Coal Board collection (BCC).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021