RefNoCOAL/MM
TitleManvers Main Colliery Company Limited (Manvers, Barnburgh and Kilnhurst Collieries)
AdminHistoryManvers Main Colliery consisted of two plants in Wath (No.1 and No.2 collieries) which were 600 metres apart.

The Manvers Main Colliery Company was registered on 21 Feb 1899. The company partners were: George C. Hague, James Marrison, William Hunter, J.W. Hutchinson, Hilton Philipson, Henry Tennant and Alfred Allot.

The first sod of the colliery was cut in 1867 and two pits were sunk to the Barnsley seam in 1870. No.2 shaft was later deepened to the Haigh Moor seam. Between 1900 and 1904 two new shafts (No.3 and No.4) were sunk to the Parkgate seam.

In 1880, beehive coke ovens were built at the No.1 pit; further were added at No.2 pit in 1886. There was also a brickyard attached to the colliery.

The company became limited in 1888 becoming Manvers Main Colliery Company Limited.

By 1940, the Colliery Year Book and Coal Trades Directory lists the company as owning: Barnburgh Main Collieries, and Manvers Main Collieries at Wath along with the Manvers Main Brickworks, Melton Field, Ovens and Washery.

Manvers Main Colliery Company Limited negotiated with the United Steel Companies Limited for the acquisition of Kilnhurst Collieries (formely owned by Tinsley Park Colliery Company Limited) and took over the management of the colliery from 1 Feb 1945.

Manvers Main Colliery Company Limited worked the group of collieries until nationalisation in 1947.

(Source: Alan Hill, The South Yorkshire Coalfield: a history and development, Tempus: 2001, p.29; 125-131)
DescriptionManvers Main Colliery Company Limited (Manvers and Barnburgh Main Collieries), 1873 - 1952:

Copy conveyances of leases of mineral rights, 1873 - 1946 (COAL/MM/1)

Copy agreements for wayleaves and easements etc., 1919 - 1924 (COAL/MM/2)

Impersonal ledger, 1925 - 1930 (COAL/MM/3)

Compensation registers, 1937 - 1948 (COAL/MM/4-5)

Valuation of farms owned by company, 1936 - 1946 (COAL/MM/6)

Electric motor test records books, 1927 - 1951 (COAL/MM/7)

Miners’ Welfare Fund, pithead baths. Purchase ledger, general ledger and journal, 1937 - 1952 (COAL/MM/8)


Kilnhurst Colliery (formerly owned by Tinsley Park Colliery Company Limited), [1855] - 1946 (COAL/MM/9)

Manvers Coking Works, 1934 - 1951 (COAL/MM/10)
Date[1855] - 1952
Extent288 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialFor records relating to Manvers post-1947 (including the proceedings of the Independent Review Body into the Manvers/Kilnhurst Complex, 1987), see BCC.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020