RefNoCOAL/PP
TitlePease and Partners Limited (Thorne Colliery)
AdminHistoryThorne Colliery was situated on the Thorne Moors 16 km north-east of Doncaster.

The first experimental borings at the site began in 1902, and continued until 1908. A borehole sunk in 1904 by the Thorne Borehole Syndicate, a group of local businessmen, was proven in 1908 when the Barnsley Bed was hit. The sinking of Thorne pit was undertaken by Pease and Partners Limited of Darlington.

The sinking of Thorne Colliery shafts took 17 years to complete (1909 - 1926) due to water seepage and disruption caused by the First World War. Thorne Colliery passed into public ownership in 1947. In June 1956 it was decided by the National Coal Board that permanent repairs could only be undertaken if the colliery was to cease production for a limited period. Production ended in 1958 due to geological problems. Unsuccessful proposals to restart production were made during the 1970s/1980s. In 2002 it was decided that it would be uneconmical to proceed with the renovation of the pit and in 2004 the pit pumps were turned off and the headgear demolished.
DescriptionColliery manager's diaries, 1909 - 1936 (COAL/PP/1)

Royalty books, 1909 - 1946 (COAL/PP/2)

Miscellaneous records (costs and price lists), 1929 - 1946 (COAL/PP/3-12)
Date1909 - 1946
Extent56 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:

For records relating to Thorne Colliery post-1947 (including drainage issues and the proposed reopening of the colliery in the 1970s-1980s) see the National Coal Board collection (BCC).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021