RefNoCOAL/WMC
TitleWombwell Main Company Limited (Wombwell Main and Lundhill Collieries)
AdminHistoryWombwell Main Colliery was sunk between 1853 and 1855. The colliery was owned by Wombwell Main Company Limited, a private limited company, which worked the pit until nationalisation in 1947.

Wombell Main Colliery closed in 1969.

Wombwell Main Company Limited also acquired the Lundhill Colliery at Hemingfield, Wombell.
DescriptionThe bulk of these records relate to the period of the Second World War (1939 - 1945) and after. They are largely office records. There is comparatively little either at management or working level.

Accounts for sinking pit no.3, 1885 - 1886 (COAL/WMC/1)

Account of coal worked, 1895 - 1904 (COAL/WMC/2)

Agents' letter book, 1901 - 1907 (COAL/WMC/3)

Deputations of underground men, 1912 - 1917 (COAL/WMC/4)

List of men from Wombell Main enlisted in H.M. Forces, 1914 - 1918 (COAL/WMC/5)

Fines for breach of colliery regulations, 1872 - 1951 (COAL/WMC/6)

Calculations of face cost of coal, 1935 - 1940 (COAL/WMC/7)

Rents and other payments, 1938 - 1944 (COAL/WMC/8)

Ouput records, 1935 - 1947 (COAL/WMC/9-10)

Reports to management, 1939 - 1943 (COAL/WMC/11)

The Midland Amalgamated District coalmines scheme, 1930 (COAL/WMC/12)

Account of payments made weekly by colliery agent on behalf of the company, 1936 - 1946 (COAL/WMC/13)

Wages, salaries, insurance and pensions etc., 1914 - 1950 (COAL/WMC/14-20)

Accidents and compensation (including some Rescue Station records), 1936 - 1950 (COAL/WMC/21-26)

Pithead baths, 1941 - 1947 (COAL/WMC/27)

South Yorkshire Coal Owners’ Association, 1942 - 1951 (COAL/WMC/28)

Other miscellaneous records, 1888 - 1960 (COAL/WMC/29-32)

The Lundhill Coal Company (Lundhill Colliery) (papers regarding explosion of 1857), 1857 (COAL/WMC/33)
Date1857 - 1951
Extent109 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:

For records relating to Wombwell Main Colliery post-1947 see the National Coal Board collection (BCC).

Pit meeting minutes, Wombwell Main Colliery Unit, 1947 - 1969 (BCC/10/2).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020