RefNoCOAL/WW
TitleWharncliffe Woodmoor Colliery Company Limited (Wharncliffe Woodmoor Colliery)
AdminHistoryIn Sep 1870, Joshua Willey leased 350 acres of the Woodmoor and Winter seams at Carlton under Lord Wharncliffe's estate. Willey sank two shafts, reaching the Woodmoor seam in Nov 1871. Soon after, the colliery was sold and in 1873 a new colliery company, the Wharncliffe Woodmoor Coal Company was formed. In Nov 1876 the colliery was put up for sale. The colliery was bought by Howard Allport in 1881. In 1883 Allport adopted limited liability and the company became the Wharncliffe Woodmoor Colliery Company Limited.

Carlton Trading Company Limited (incorporated 1921, dissolved 1959) was a Class B Subsidiary of parent company, Wharncliffe Woodmoor Colliery Company Limited.

(Source: Alan Hill, The South Yorkshire Coalfield: a history and development, Tempus: 2001, p.33)
DescriptionShare certificates, 1884 - 1914 (COAL/WW/1)

Copy agreements, memoranda and articles of association, letters from Companies Registration Office etc., 1905 - 1945 (COAL/WW/2)

Agreement (blank) - issue of a series of second debentures, [1912 - 1914] (COAL/WW/3)

Plan of branch railway, 1898 (COAL/WW/4)

Carlton Trading Company Limited records, 1921 - 1945 (COAL/WW/5-6)
Date1884 - 1945
Extent11 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:

For records relating to Wharncliffe Woodmoor Coking Plant post-1947 see the National Coal Board collection (BCC).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021