RefNoCOAL/Y3
TitleRecords of the Mines Department, Mines Inspectorate - inspections and surveys of pits in the South Yorkshire Coalfield (1942)
AdminHistoryIn December 1920 the Mines Inspectorate, the Mining Record Office and the Board for Mining Examinations were absorbed within the new Mines Department who thus took over responsibility for ensuring that basic statutory regulations were being met.

In 1942 the Inspectorate was transferred from the Mines Department to the Ministry of Fuel and Power. The Inspectorate was headed by a chief inspector, under whom were eight divisions based on the coalfields, each of which was headed by a divisional inspector of mines. Each division contained a number of district offices, to which the inspectors were attached. Their duties were to ensure observance of the acts and regulations relating to safety, health and welfare in mines and quarries, to inquire into mine disasters and accidents, and to provide information on matters affecting safety, health and training.

After the Ministry was abolished in 1969, the Inspectorate subsequently came under the Ministry of Technology and the Department of Trade and Industry before passing to the Health and Safety Executive.
DescriptionInspections and surveys of pits in the South Yorkshire Coalfield, 1942:

Aldwarke
Askern Main
Barnborough Main
Barnsley Main
Beighton and Brookhouse
Bentley
Birley East
Brierley
Brodsworth
Bullcroft
Cadeby Main
Cortonwood
Darfield main
Darton
Dearne Valley
Denaby Main
Dinnington Main
Elsecar Main
Firbeck Main
Frickley
Grimethorpe
Haigh
Harworth
Hatfield Main
Hickleton Main
Highgate
Houghton Main
Kilnhurst
Kiveton Park
Maltby Main
Manvers Main
Markham Main
Mitchell Main
Monk Bretton
Barrow
Mottram Wood
New Stubbin
North Gawber
Orgreave
Rossington
Rotherham Main
Silverwood
Thorne
Thurcroft Main
Tinsley Park
Treeton
Waleswood
Whancliffe Woodmoor
Wombell Main
Woolley
Yorkshire Main
Date1942
Extent296 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021