RefNoDIXON/11
TitleWilliam Hutton and Sons, High Street (later West Street), Sheffield
AdminHistoryHutton's were established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800, moving to Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was active as manufacturing silversmiths and platers at 27 High Street, and later (from 1886) 140-146 West Street.

After William Hutton's death, the business was carried on by his son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton and Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843). William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c.1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton and Sons.

A London showroom was opened in 1863 (13 Thavies Inn, Holborn until 1891, and later 7 Farrington Road until 1918).

In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell and Co (manufacturer and silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became incorporated as a limited company, known as William Hutton and Sons Limited. The firm acquired Creswick and Company in 1902, and began to use their crossed arrows marks.

The last Hutton family Managing Director was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. The firm was absorbed by James Dixon and Sons in 1930. The 'Hutton' name continued to be used.
DescriptionRecords of William Hutton and Sons, most date from prior to the takeover by James Dixon and Sons in 1930. Later records retained the 'Hutton' name, but appear to have been absorbed into the main run of Dixon's records.
Date1856 - 1946
Extent15 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021