RefNoESC/CC
TitleCharles Cammell and Company Limited, Cyclops Steel and Iron Works, Sheffield
AdminHistoryCharles Cammell and Company (formerly Johnson, Cammell and Company - established by Charles Cammell, Thomas Manby Johnson and Henry Johnson in 1837) were iron and steel manufacturers of Sheffield. Charles Cammell and Company are first mentioned in 1856 (in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent. Supplement. Saturday, 25 Oct 1856). In 1861 they started to make rails and railway material. In 1863 the began making armour plates. Business had expanded considerably, and in the same year, additional works were built at Grimesthorpe. The company adoped limited liability in 1864.

By 1885 the company consisted of: Cyclops Steel and Iron Works, Sheffield; Grimesthorpe Ordnance, Tyre and Spring works, Sheffield; Yorkshire Steel Works at Penistone; Derwent Steel and Iron Works at Workington; Old and new Oaks Collieries, near Barnsley; other iron mines near Whitehaven.

In 1903 the company took over the Birkenhead shipbuilding yards of Laird Brothers becoming Cammell, Laird and Company Limited.
DescriptionLegal agreements, deeds and salary books.
Date1777 - 1916
Extent5 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:
Cammell Laird and Company Limited, 1890 - 1929 (ESC).

See also: Study Guide on Iron and Steel Company Records at Sheffield City Archives and Local Studies Library (available online - www.sheffield.gov.uk/archives).

Wirral Archives Service:
Records of Cammell Laird and Co, Shipbuilders, 1810 - 1993 (the earliest records are the minute books and financial records of Charles Cammell and Company Limited, steelmakers of Sheffield) (Z/CL2).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020