RefNoESC/FV
TitleFirth-Vickers Stainless Steels Limited, Staybrite Works, Sheffield
AdminHistoryFirth-Vickers Stainless Steels Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield was incorporated in October 1934. The new company was formed to acquire the stainless steel interests of Thomas Firth and John Brown Limited, Sheffield, and the English Steel Corporation (ESC) who would jointly own the company. Production was centered on Firth's Tinsley Works in Weedon Street, with Firth-Brown also occupying the empty Cyclops Works in Savile Street, Sheffield, where new rolling mills and heat-treatment plant were erected.

In the late 1940s and early 1950s the company laid the foundations in alloy steels for jet engine components and the aircraft industry.

In 1972, and following the British Steel Corporation's (BSC) take over of the ESC, the BSC acquired a controlling interest in Firth-Vickers Stainless Steels as part of a larger series of consolidatory arrangements with Firth-Brown.
Date1934 - c.1963
Extent37 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:
Records of Firth-Vickers Stainless Steels Limited, 1929 - 1982 (X325).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020