RefNoESC/TB
TitleTaylor Brothers and Company Limited, Clarence Iron and Steel Works, Leeds; later Trafford Park, Manchester
DescriptionIn 1857 brothers George, James and Samuel Taylor established the Clarence Iron Works at Hunslet, Leeds. On 26 Aug 1905 Taylor Brothers and Company Limited was established to acquire and take over the Clarence Iron and Steel Works.

The Metropolitan Carriage, Wagon and Finance Company arranged to take over the company in 1919, but Metropolitan was acquired by Vickers Limited which also acquired Taylor Brothers. In 1920 new works were built at Trafford Park, Manchester; the following year, business moved from Leeds to Manchester.

In 1928 a merger of companies in the steel industry was announced, involving parts of Vickers, Vickers-Armstrongs and Cammell, Laird and Company. This would involve all of the steel interests of the three contributing groups (except for interests in guns, ammunition and tanks). English Steel Corporation Limited, a new company, was created to take over these interests; the contribution from Vickers was Taylor Brothers and Company Limited.
Date1905 - 1968
Extent31 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
RelatedMaterialSheffield City Archives:
Taylor Brothers and Company Limited, 1905-1970 (MD7378).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020