RefNoESC/V
TitleVickers Limited, River Don Works, Sheffield and Barrow-in-Furness
DescriptionVickers was an engineering conglomerate. The company was established in 1829 as Naylor, Hutchinson, Vickers and Company (Edward Vickers was a miller; his wife was the daughter of a local steel maker George Naylor. His brother, William, owned a steel rolling operation at Millsands. Edward's investments in the railway industry allowed him to gain control of the company, based at Millsands). In 1854 the company was known as Naylor, Vickers and Company. In 1863 the company moved to a new site in Sheffield on the River Don in Brightside. In 1867, the company became Vickers, Sons and Company. In 1897 the company name changed to Vickers, Sons and Maxim. In 1911 the name changed to Vickers. In 1927 Vickers merged many of its engineering and armaments assets with those of Armstrong Whitworth becoming Vickers-Armstrongs. Vickers was the major partner in the new company with two thirds of the shares while Armstrong Whitworth recieved one third.

The English Steel Forge and Engineering Corporation of River Don Works, Sheffield and North Street Works, Openshaw, Manchester was formed in 1928 to take over the steel interests in Vickers, Vickers-Armstrongs and Cammell, Laird and Company (except for interests in guns, ammunition and tanks). In 1929 English Steel Corporation became a public company; Vickers held the majority of the shares and Cammell Laird held the rest.
Date1805 - 1966
Extent114 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020