RefNoGS
TitleSheffield Grammar School
AdminHistoryBefore the incorporation of the Sheffield Grammar School in 1604, there was a school on the same site at the top of Townhead Street. A benefaction under the will of Thomas Smith, of Crowland, County Lincolnshire, in 1603, caused the inhabitants of Sheffield to seek the incorporation of the school under a body of twelve governors with the vicar of Sheffield an ex officio member. The letters patent were granted in 1604, the school to be served a Master and Usher.

In 1619, the Governors received a further lease of the site for a term of 800 years from the Church Burgesses. New premises were erected in 1648, and a new master's house in 1710. William Birley's Charity in 1716 created the Free Writing School at School Croft (and from 1888 the Birley Scholars), which was united with the Grammar School by the new scheme of 1888.

In 1776 the capital investment of the school trust was augmented by a new subscription. Subsequently, in 1825, the Grammar School moved to new premises in St George's Square. The Sheffield Collegiate School, which had been founded in 1835, was united with the Grammar School in 1884, just prior to the new scheme of 1888 by which Birley's Charity became part of the Grammar School foundation. A further move in 1905 - 1906 brought together the Grammar School and Wesley College in Glossop Road. The resultant new school on Glossop Road was re-designated King Edward VII School.

James Wheat was one of the Governors of the Grammar School, and the endorsements on many of the documents in an eighteenth century hand may be his.
DescriptionAdministrative Records, 1604 - 1964 (GS/1)
Legal/Property Records, 1501 - 1937 (GS/2)
Financial Records, 1604 - 1969 (GS/3)
Pupil Records, 1885 - 1907 (GS/4)
Date1501 - 1967
Extent257 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialMaps of the estates and plans of school buildings of the Governors of Sheffield Grammar School, 1817 - 1850, are available in the Wheat Collection (WC/1453-1466) as are deeds, 1653 - 1783, of which the Governors are party (WC/667, 1655, 1657 and 1658) and also letter books, 1848 - 1889, which include reference to the Grammar School (WC/3062-3090) .

A survey of lands belonging to the Church Burgesses, 1616 - 1672 includes (at the end of the volume) orders of the Governors and revenues of the Grammar School in 1694 (MD456).

Sheffield City Council, Committee as to the Grammar School and Birley's Charity minutes, 1886 - 1888 (CA-VAC/15)

Research notes and documents of Peter J. Wallis relating to the Sheffield Free Grammar School [19th - 20th cent.) (MD7368)

The principal work on Sheffield Grammar School has appeared in the Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society (Sheffield Archives: Searchroom Library HAS):
J. R. Wigfall, "An Early Sheffield School" (vol. 3), pp.336-347.
J. R. Wigfall, "Sheffield Grammar School" (vol. 4), pp.283-300.
G. C. Moore Smith, "Sheffield Grammar School" (vol. 4), pp.145-160.
P. J. Wallis, "Thomas Smith - Benefactor of Sheffield Grammar School" (vol. 7), pp. 188-193.
W. G. Matthews, "The Free Writing School, Sheffield, and its Masters" (vol. 10), pp.280-285.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020