RefNoLD1446
TitleSheffield Sawmakers' Protection Society
AdminHistoryThe Sheffield Sawmakers' Protection Society was a trade association/union formed in 1797 (a printed copy of the Society's rules, orders and regulations from 1797 survives at Sheffield Local Studies Library: Local Pamphlets vol. 67 no.1, 042 S). The first rule states that 'a meeting shall be held as usual, on the first Monday of every month' suggesting the Society was preceded by an earlier organisation. Protection was key to the Society's formation: protection from economic downturns as well as unscrupulous employers. In this way, the Sheffield Sawmakers' Protection Society acted as a kind of insurance agency.

The 1909 Rule Book of the Society (Sheffield Archives: LD1446A/1-2) states the object of the Society as being 'to raise funds for the purpose of assisting the unemployed members and protecting them against any undue advantage of their employers, also to obtain a fair remuneration for their labour.'

In 1866 they passed a resolution 'that this society views with feelings of indignation and abhorrence the foul and dastardly outrage committed in New Hereford Street' (referring to the Sheffield Outrages).

The Society transferred its engagements to Transport and General Workers Union in 1984.
DescriptionMinutes, 1860 - 1980 (LD1446/1)
Accounts, 1954 - 1976 (LD1446/2)
Miscellaneous, 1844 - [1996] (LD1446/3)
Date1844 - [1996]
Extent37 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield Local Studies Library:
Sawmakers' Society, rules, orders and regulations, 1797 (Local Pamphlets vol. 67 no.1; 042 S)

See also: Sheffield City Archives and Local Studies Library, Study Guide on Sources relating to Trades Unions, 2016 (www.sheffield.gov.uk/archives).

The National Archives, London:
Transfer of engagements of Sheffield Sawmakers' Protection Society to Transport and General Workers Union, Jan - Dec 1983 (CL 4/87)

Modern Records Centre, Warwick:
Sheffield Sawmakers' Protection Society: correspondence about rules regarding honorary membership, 1970 (MSS.292B/91/148)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020