RefNoLD2259
Alternative Reference numberLD2259-2278
TitleTinsley Rolling Mills Company Limited, Sheffield
AdminHistoryThe company may have originated in 1838. By 1846, Shirt and Dyson had a bar mill on the Old Side of the works premises, at the original terminus of the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Canal. The company took over the former offices of the Canal Company when the canal was extended.

The Company was reconstituted in 1874 as the Tinsley Rolling Mills Company Limited when Alderman George Neill became Managing Director with Shirt and Dyson continuing as Directors.

The Company was reconstitued again in 1897 with George Neill as Managing Director, Charles Branson as Chairman and George Senior as Director (later Chairman). In 1899, Neill and Branson died and were succeeded by their sons, James Neill and Colonel George Branson.

In 1900 and 1903, the company expanded into sheet steel, and in 1922 embarked on a major expansion programme with a modern bar mill. In 1971, the Company was merged with Rotherham Forge and Rolling Mills Company Limited.
DescriptionBoard and Annual General Meeting minute books, 1874 - 1955 (LD2259/1)
Correspondence, 1901 - 1918 (LD2259/2)
Share records, 1897 - 1920 (LD2259/3)
Financial records, 1838-1928 (LD2259/4)
Works plans, 1899-1956 (LD2259/5)
Technical records, 1902 - 1925 (LD2259/6)
Photographs, c. 1906 - 1962 (LD2259/7)
Printed and promotional material, [1925] - 1946 (LD2259/8)
Date1838 - c.1962
Extent102 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield Archives
Parliamentary Acts and Deeds Plans (Estate Plans) relating to Tinsley Rolling Mills, river diversion and locks serving the Tinsley Rolling Mills (Sheet No.10) (MD7787/1)

Sheffield Local Studies Library
A Roll of honour: Sheffield Chamber members who have existed in business for a century or more (includes John Nowill and Sons), 1957 (PAMP 93 SQ)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019