RefNoLD2389
TitleGeorge Platts and Sons Limited, scissor manufacturers, Mary Street, Sheffield
AdminHistoryThe company was established in 1845 and adopted the 'sailor' trade mark.

The 1868 trade directory of Sheffield lists George Platts, scissor manufacturers, at Forge Lane; in 1876 at Reaney Wheel, Bernard Lane; in 1884 at Bernard Works, Dacre Street and; in 1902 the firm are listed as cutlery manufacturers at Mary Street.

The company incorporated the firm of Longley and Hawksworth in 1915.

George Platts and Sons Limited also incorporated two further firms:

1. Heber Ebenezer Kellam in the early 1970s. Kellam had started a business of manufactured leather goods, some of it to the cutlery trade, around the turn of the 20th cent. when he was in his early twenties. He died in 1975, in his nineties.

2. The other company was that of F. Cowan, scissor manufacturers, which was taken over in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Cowan had started out as a grinder and polisher, again around the turn of the 20th century.

Neither Kellam nor Cowan were Limited Companies.
Description1. George Platts and Sons Limited, scissor manufacturers, 1919 - 1969 (LD2389/1)

2. Heber Ebenezer Kellam, manufacturer of leather goods (acquired by George Platts), 1932 - 1971 (LD2389/2)

3. F. Cowan, scissor manufacturers (acquired by George Platts), 1964 (LD2389/3)
Date1919 - 1971
Extent43 items
AccessStatusRestricted
AccessConditionsRecords less than 50 years old are restricted access.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialHawley Collection at Kelham Island Museum:
Papers of George Platts and Son Limited, scissors manufacturers, 1817 - 1968 (ref. PLA)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019