RefNoLD392
Alternative Reference numberLD392-708
TitleDeeds relating to 'Kenwood' [later Kenwood Hall] and other records of the trust which administered the estate of George Wostenholm, cutlery manufacturer of Sheffield
AdminHistoryKenwood Hall (hotel) is located in Nether Edge, Sheffield. The oldest part of the hotel was built as the private residence of Sheffield cutlery manufacturer George Wostenholm in 1845. He named the house Kenwood after a place of that name he had visited near Oneida Lake in Upper New York State.

The grounds included Italian garden and terraces, a park, vineries, peach and other glasshouses and an ornamental lake which were laid out by Robert Marnock who was later responsible for the design of the gardens of the Royal Botanic Society of London in Regent’s Park.

In about 1868 Wostenholm constructed the North Lodge with archway at the junction of Rundle Road and Kenwood Road. From it a new drive was made round the north side of the house leading under the stone arch of 1858 to the entrance front. On the front of the North Lodge can be seen Wostenholm’s arms and crest, which was granted in 1868.

After his death in 1876 Kenwood Park, as it was then known, was inherited by his widow Eliza and her second husband, Thomas Beaumont, who added a major extension to the house in 1882-1883 on the north side. In March 1899 the estate then passed into the hands of a group of Trustees who then in January 1922 sold the estate by auction to Kenwood Limited for £5,500.

The company adapted the house and it was opened as a residential hotel called Kenwood. In c.1930 a new bedroom wing was built running east from the main house. In 1956 work began clearing four greenhouses on the west side of the garages to build a banqueting suite for Kenwood Hotel. This was completed in 1958 and opened as Kenwood Hall.

The Kenwood deeds were deposited with Sheffield Archives by Rodgers and Company, Solicitors of Bank Street, Sheffield and being the surviving documents of the trust which administered the estate of George Wostenholm after his death and that of his widow.
Description1. Title deeds of George Wostenholm relating to:

The site of Kenwood, 1836 - 1856 (LD392/1/1)
Ibbotson's Farm, 1614 - 1841 (LD392/1/2)
Cherrytree Hill Farm, 1803 - 1857 (LD392/1/3)
Part of Cherrytree Farm, 1840 - 1851 (LD392/1/4)
Lands at Machon Bank (Over Pearstorthe, Nether Pear Storth, Machon Bank, the Croft, Calfe Leys, Knouth Holmes, Rye Storthe), 1593 - 1795 (LD392/1/5)
Lands at Machon Bank, 1789 - 1792 (various closes) (LD392/1/6)
Lands at Machon Bank, 1725 - 1820 (Spink Stubbings, Foxglove Fields and Wilcock Wood) (LD392/1/7)
Lands at Machon Bank (whole estate), 1830 - 1854 (LD392/1/8)
Sheldon's Pear Storth, 1853 (LD392/1/9)
Little Sheffield Grange, 1803 - 1857 (LD392/1/10)
The Toll estate, 1757 - (LD392/1/11)

2. Papers relating to the administration, development and disposal of the estate (LD392/2)

3. Lands beyond the Kenwood estate:

Brincliffe Edge (LD392/3/1)
Carfield, Derbyshire (LD392/3/2)
Miscelleneous (LD392/3/3)
Date1593 - 1922
Extent286 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield Archives:
Plan of Kenwood Park, Sheffield, 1872 - 1899 (AP/4/2/22)

Sheffield Local Studies Library:
Plan showing the proposed mode of laying out for building purposes the Sharrow and Kenwood Park Estates near Sheffield belonging to George Wostenholm, Parkin and Bacon: 1853 (S (22) 1 M)
Plan and particulars of sale of the residential estate known as Kenwood Park, Sheffield, William Bush: 1887 (Sale Plan 9 AUGUST 1887)
Plan and particulars of sale of the Kenwood Park Estate and building land at Sharrow, Sheffield, Eadon and Lockwood: 1922 (Sale Plan 20 JUNE 1922)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020