RefNoMD6641
TitleFairthorn Children's Convalescent Home, Dore
AdminHistoryFairthorn Convalescent Home (Incorporated) was formerly known as the Sheffield School Children's Holiday Association (Incorporated). The Memorandum and Articles of Association (dated 1926) outline the objectives of the Association: 'to provide free holidays for poor or necessitous children living in or near the City of Sheffield during the period of school vacation, and to board and maintain them during such holidays' and 'to provide a convalescent home or houses for sick or ailing children'.

Earlier attempts had been made to provide holidays for children in Sheffield. In Feb 1893, a party of Sheffield school teachers met in the Carver Street School to discuss the possibility of providing some form of holiday for the children who lived in the East End of Sheffield. The original idea was to take small parties of children to Kirk Edge Orphanage to obtain fresh air and enjoy the countryside. When the Kirk Edge Orphanage was no longer available the Committee discussed the possibility of building a Home to continue the work. In 1923, huts formerly used by the Territorial Army at Lodge Moor were obtained. Accomodation was limited, however, and the search for an appropriate site continued until 'Fairthorn Green' a large house at Redmires was purchased in 1924. Work continued at Fairthorn Green until 1931 when the Corporation ordered all dwellers around the Redmires Dam to move out because there was a danger of contamination of the water supply. Compensation was paid to the Association but once again the Committee were faced with finding another site. A property was purchased at Dore and the Lord Mayor officially opened the Home in July 1934.

The three essentials the Committee based its work on were: to provide fresh air, good food and rest.

The work of the Association was governed by the Fairthorn Council. There were two other Committees: the House Committee which was responsible for all matters concerning the running of the Home, and the Ways and Means Committee which focused on fundraising for the maintenance of the Home.

The main methods of raising money were: voluntary subscriptions, donations, Flower Day and the Annual Dance.

The Association changed its name in Jun 1950 to Fairthorn Convalescent Home (Incorporated).

The Association was would up voluntarily in 1971 and its assets were conveyed to Home Farm Trust Limited.
DescriptionMinutes of the House Committee, 1960 - 1971 (MD6641/1-2)
Petty cash book, 1969 - 1970 (MD6641/3)
Miscellaneous papers, 1961 - 1971 (MD6641/4)
Date1960 - 1971
Extent1 item
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsSome items may include references to named individuals and their personal circumstances. Consequently some records are closed to public inspection for 100 years under the Data Protection Act (exempt under section 40 of the Freedom of Information Act). Please refer to Sheffield Archives for advice on how to access the restricted items.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield Archives:
Minutes of Council, Fairthorn Convalescent Home (Incorporated), 1944 - 1971 (LD1590)
Correspondence and reports received by the Education Department, Sheffield City Council, 1945 - 1971 (CA372/1)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021