RefNoMD7775
Alternative Reference number1988/8
TitleJob Preston Limited, Chemists, Sheffield
AdminHistoryJob Preston Limited, listed variously in Sheffield trade directories as chemist and laboratory furnishers, chemist and druggist and manufacturer of photographic apparatus/scientific apparatus, was established in 1830. In 1868 it was trading as Cubley and Preston, and was located at 4 High Street in premises previously occupied by Thomas Perry, Chemist. By 1896 the company had become Job Preston, with premises at 33 Church Street and 56 Fargate. The company moved to 105 Barker's Pool in March 1904, and finally (around 1925) to 208 West Street. Job Preston also had premises at 19-21 Holly Lane, and by 1932 is listed in Kelly's Directory of Sheffield as also having a chemist's shop on Sandygate Road (number 17, later 23).

An advertisement in a 1940 edition of Kelly's Directory of Sheffield lists the following laboratory equipment as being stocked by Job Preston: balances and weights, muffle and combustion furnaces, microscopes, thermometers, hydrometers, beakers, flasks and chemical reagents.
DescriptionPrescription books and account books.
Datec 1850 - 1950
Extent43 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSeparate collections of records of Job Preston Limited, Chemists, c.1850 - 1974, acquired from different sources, are also available (Refs. X439, X833 and MD7775)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019