RefNoNHS11
TitleKing Edward VII Orthopaedic Hospital, Sheffield
AdminHistoryOn the death of Edward VII in 1910, a memorial fund was established with the aim of erecting a special school for the crippled children of Sheffield and to provide medical and surgical aid. Subscriptions were invited and £18,000 was raised. As this was not sufficient to meet the whole costs, Sheffield Corporation gave additional funds, and a grant was made by the Board of Education conditional upon the hospital being managed by the city authorities. A site was donated by the Duke of Norfolk and building work, including treatment block, operating theatre, kitchens, nurses' and servants' quarters, was commenced in 1913.

Officially opened by the Duchess of Norfolk, the first patients were admitted on 28 June 1916 to the then called King Edward VII Memorial Hospital for Crippled Children, mainly suffering from tuberculosis of the bones or joints. Continued advances were made in the medical treatment of non-pulmonary TB, with Dr Lee Patterson, the medical superintendent, introducing the wide use of ultra-violet therapy and vitamin treatments. As the duration of hospital stays thus decreased, admission was widened to outside Sheffield in order to keep the hospital full.

In 1931 the scope was further widened to provide treatment for congenital deformities, rickets and paralysis from polio. With patients taken outside for open air treatment, the establishment acted as a sanatorium as well as orthopaedic hospital.

A clause in Sheffield Corporation Bill of 1939 allowed for the admission of adult patients suffering from surgical TB as well as other crippling diseases depending on bed space; in 1944 children were evacuated elsewhere when two wards were allocated for the reception of officer casualties; during the 1947 polio epidemic patients were transferred in from other hospitals. Operations were performed both by the medical superintendent and by the orthopaedic surgeon to Sheffield Education Authority.

In 1944 the hospital was recognised as a Nurse Training School and in 1954 as an approved Orthopaedic Training School; a new physiotherapy unit, complete with remedial pool and gymnasium, was built in 1956 and splint makers' workshops in 1957-58. By that time the bed complement had increased from its original 130 cots for crippled children to 194 beds for a range of ages, with the provision of two new civil defence ward blocks.

Bed reductions were proposed by 1972 and the question of closing the hospital was raised in July 1972. Hospital services were transferred to the Northern General Hospital and it closed in September 1992. The buildings were refurbished and developed by Gleeson Homes into 36 2-, 3- and 4-bedroom homes and put on the market in November 2000.

Management:
King Edward VII Memorial Hospital for Crippled Children was owned by Sheffield Corporation. It was managed by the King Edward VII Hospital Committee consisting of members of the Health and Education Committees and representatives from the subscribers to the memorial fund. In 1927 the Committee, with the Hospitals Committee which managed the Corporation's other hospitals, became a sub-committee of the Health Committee, thus bringing the hospital's management under the complete control of the Corporation.

From 5 July 1948, the Appointed Day for the establishment of the National Health Service (NHS), the hospital's administration was taken over by Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board, and the hospital was renamed the King Edward VII Orthopaedic Hospital.

Reorganisation of the NHS in 1974 abolished the Hospital Management Committees and Regional Boards; the hospital's management thereafter devolved to one of the newly created (Teaching) Districts of Sheffield Area Health Authority, itself responsible to Trent Regional Health Authority. Further reorganisation of the NHS in 1982 abolished one tier of management, and responsibility for the hospital's administration was brought under Sheffield Health Authority of Trent Regional Health Authority. Additional changes followed the implementation of the NHS and Community Care Act, 1990 (in effect 1 April 1991), when the 'internal market' and the first hospital trusts were formed. The orthopaedic surgery and rehabilitation services provided by King Edward VII (Orthopaedic) Hospital were to be transferred to the Northern General Hospital (NGH). To prepare for this transfer, in February 1991 NGH assumed responsibility for King Edward VII Hospital though it remained outside of the NHS Trust which the NGH became at that time.
Description Administration 1916 - 1988
NHS11/1/1/1 Visitors' book, 1916 - 1988

Establishment 1916 - [c. 1970]
NHS11/2/1 Nursing staff registers, 1916 - 1967
NHS11/2/2 SEN nursing auxiliary registers, 1948 - 1966
NHS11/2/3 Nurses duty records, 1945 - 1952
NHS11/2/4 Domestic staff register, 1916 - 1966
NHS11/2/5 Staff registers, 1916 - 1952
NHS11/2/6 Staff address registers, [c. 1959 - 1970]
NHS11/2/7 Training certificate, c. 1945
NHS11/2/8 Photographs, 1929 - 1934

Stores and equipment 1951 - 1956
NHS11/3/1 Requisitions book, 1951 - 1956

Patients 1916 - 1992
NHS11/4/1 Admissions registers, 1916 - 1992
NHS11/4/2 Admission lists, 1984 - 1988
NHS11/4/3 Discharge registers, 1962 - 1992
NHS11/4/4 [Out-]patient case registers, 1932 - 1948
NHS11/4/5 Case files, c. 1920 - 1975
NHS11/4/6 Anaesthetic and operation registers, 1919 - 1974
NHS11/4/7 Operations registers, theatre 1, 1974 - 1989
NHS11/4/8 Operations registers, theatre 2, 1987 - 1989
NHS11/4/9 Aspiration books, 1916 - 1928
NHS11/4/10 X-ray record books, 1916 - 1926
NHS11/4/11 Poison registers, 1970 - 1972
NHS11/4/12 X-rays, 1924 - 1955
Date1916 - 1992
Extent103 items plus 938 files and 25 X-rays
AccessStatusRestricted
AccessConditionsInformation in patient and staff records is subject to access restrictions under the Data Protection Act, or may be subject to exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act. For further information please refer to a member of staff.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield Health Committee minutes, 1849 - 1973 (CA-HEA)
Sheffield Corporation: King Edward VII Hospital Committee minutes, 1915-1926 (CA-EDW)
Minutes and papers relating to memorial statue and hospital, photograph, 1911-1916 (CA456/1-3)
Files and papers, 1911-1915 (CA658)
Evidence of Medical Superintendent in support of the hospital clauses in Sheffield Corporation Bill, 1938-1939 (CA 662/20)
Correspondence and papers relating to proposed extension of use of hospital to include adults, 1938-1939 (CA 662/100)
Requisitions book, 1956 - 1958 (Acc. 2007/126)
Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee records, 1948-1974 (NHS37, some formerly SY298/H1-9, SY641/H1-8)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019