RefNoNHS20
TitleRoyal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield
AdminHistoryNew Teaching Hospital (NTH), 1937 - c. 1964
Hallamshire Hospital, 1964 - 1979
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, 1979 - present

In 1937 a policy was agreed by the Management Boards and staffs of the Royal Infirmary and Royal Hospital that the site acquired at Norton was not the ideal place for a new hospital. The next year, the amalgamated Royal Sheffield Infirmary and Hospital's decision to build a new Teaching Hospital [on the Glossop Road site] was approved and the Million Pound Appeal Fund was launched to raise funds towards the project. A competition was held to find architects for the scheme, the first phase of which was originally to include a Central Radium Institute; a Dental Department (for which Sir Charles Clifford had left a bequest); premises for the Edgar Allen Institute which had outgrown its site; and an Orthopaedic Department. The winners of the competition, to which five entries were submitted, were Messrs Adams, Holden and Pearson of London and Sheffield.

The Hallamshire Hospital Out-Patients Department was opened in two phases, in 1961 and 1969. It consisted of 8 purpose-built clinics including: general surgery; general medicine; ENT surgery; psychiatry; dermatology; ophthalmology and urology. In addition there were laboratories and a large X-ray department. The foundations of the main building were laid in 1968 and building commenced in December 1969. By 1975 it was one of the busiest out-patients departments in the country, holding 202 clinics per week and providing two-thirds of the out-patient facilities for the city of Sheffield.

The main building comprising wards, with around 700 beds, and departments was completed in 1978 and the first patients were admitted in October of that year. It was formally opened by the Prince of Wales in November 1979. The hospital now (2006) has 850 beds for in-patients, specialist out-patient clinics and a specialist ophthalmology unit, a NHS Walk-In Centre and Minor Injuries Unit.

The Sheffield Medical School, originally in Surrey Street, then in buildings in Leopold Street, was opened in new premises on the hospital site in autumn 1973 to an intake of 150 students.

Administration:
The Out-patients Department was managed by the United Sheffield Hospitals (USH) until the reorganisation of the National Health Service in 1974. On the abolition of the USH, from April 1974 it was placed in the Central (Teaching) District of the newly created Sheffield Area Health Authority (Teaching), which was itself responsible to Trent Regional Health Authority (RHA). After the 'redistricting' of Sheffield AHA(T) in mid 1978, the hospital was moved into the newly-constituted Southern District.

Further reorganisation of the NHS in 1982 abolished one tier of management, and responsibility for the hospital's administration was brought under the two amalgamated districts, together redesignated as Sheffield Health Authority.

The Central Sheffield University Hospitals NHS Trust (CSUH NHS Trust) was established under section 5 of the National Health Service and Community Care Act, 1990, by statutory order of October 1991. The Trust came into full operation on 1 April 1992 and was created to own and manage hospital accommodation and services provided at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and associated hospitals, including the management of its teaching and research facilities. CSUH NHS Trust merged with Weston Park Hospital NHS Trust on 1 April 1999 and that in turn merged with the Northern General Hospital NHS Trust on 1 April 2001 to form the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, which then achieved Foundation status on 1 July 2004.
Description Administration c. 1967 - 1991
NHS20/1/1 Laboratory Medicine Sub-committee, 1983 - 1990
NHS20/1/2 Relics Committee, 1978 - 1991
NHS20/1/3 Other hospitals, c. 1967 - 1990

Land and Buildings 1940 - 1987
NHS20/2/1 Foundation, 1940
NHS20/2/2 First Phase, 1953 - 1964
NHS20/2/3 Second Phase, 1963 - 1987

Establishment 1961 - 1968
NHS20/3/1 Nurses' registers, 1961 - 1968

Patients 1971 - 1988
NHS20/4/1 Records of operations, 1987 - 1988
NHS20/4/2 In-patient admission registers, 1971 - 1978

Collected Historical Material 1782 - 1999
NHS20/5/1 Listings of material and correspondence, 1982 - 1999
NHS20/5/2 Royal Commission on the National Health Service: papers of Sir Paul Bramley, 1976 - 1979
NHS20/5/3 Nurse Constance Mablethorpe: papers, 1942 - 1970
NHS20/5/4 Professor E K Blackburn: papers, 1948 - 1956
NHS20/5/5 Dr Samuel Bryson: articles, 1918 - 1941
NHS20/5/6 J D Gray Collection, 1891 - c. 1939
NHS20/5/7 Kennedy Collection, 1938 - 1959
NHS20/5/8 Naish papers, 1952 - 1994
NHS20/5/9 Finch photographs, c. 1905 - c. 1915
NHS20/5/10 Milne photographs, c. 1930
NHS20/5/11 Nutt photographs, c. 1910 - 1939
NHS20/5/12 Royal Hallamshire Hospital, c. 1965 - c. 1985
NHS20/5/13 Royal Hospital, Sheffield, c. 1920 - c. 1985
NHS20/5/14 Royal Infirmary, Sheffield, 1782 - 1987
NHS20/5/15 Various Sheffield Hospitals, 1953 - 1995
NHS20/5/16 Medical School, 1883 - c. 1985
NHS20/5/17 School of Dentistry, 1892 - 1987
NHS20/5/18 School of Nursing and Midwifery, 1959 - 1997
NHS20/5/19 Miscellaneous material, 1896 - 1995
Date1782 - 1999
Extent272 items
AccessStatusRestricted
AccessConditionsInformation in staff and patient records may be subject to access restrictions under the Data Protection Act, or may be subject to exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act. For further information please refer to a member of staff.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialMillion Pound Fund Appeal papers, 1937 - 1974 (NHS28/14)
Million Pound Fund Appeal papers, 1938 - 1947 (NHS12/3/6/3)
Sheffield Voluntary Hospitals: brochure about the Million Pound Appeal, c. 1937 (SY679/Z1/1)
Sheffield Voluntary Hospitals' Million Pound Appeal Fund accounts, 1951 - 1954 (SY614/K73/68)
New Teaching Hospital Planning Committee papers, 1957 - 1964 (NHS27/2/26)
Copy plans of the New Teaching Hospital, c. 1960 (Acc. 2001/18)
United Sheffield Hospitals records (NHS28)
Central Sheffield University Hospital NHS Trust records (NHS42)

At Sheffield University Library: Swan Papers (on the history of the clinical use of penicillin in Sheffield, etc)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019