RefNoPR100
TitleSheffield, All Saints, Ecclesall, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryIn the 13th century, Ralf de Ecclesall gave a corn mill to Beauchief Abbey on the condition that one of the canons would perform a daily service in his manor chapel. This was a chapel of ease to Beauchief Abbey and was situated near the manor house at Silver Hill.

In 1536, the chapel was closed with the dissolution of the monasteries. It was restored and re-opened in 1622 but became too small for the congregation and fell into disrepair. On 14th December 1788, a church on the present site on Ringinglow Road was opened. The site included 2 acres of consecrated ground on an area known as "Carter-knoll" (the graveyard now occupies 9 acres). On 5th August 1789, the church was consecrated as a chapel of ease of the Parish Church of Sheffield.

The parish of Ecclesall was established as a separate parish in 1849. It covered the area from the Limb Brook at Whirlow to Cambridge Street in the city centre and to Cherrytree, Sharrow where it met St Mary's parish. Since then several parishes have been formed from the original parish.

In 1907, the church was renovated and a foundation stone of a new transept and chancel laid. The architect was Temple Moore and several gifts were received including many stained glass windows. Further improvements to the inside of the church took place in 1997, including the replacement of pews with chairs.

The church (situated on Ringinglow Road) is in the Ecclesall Deanery.
DescriptionRegisters:

Composite Registers of Baptisms and Burials, 1789 - 1830 (PR100/1)
Baptisms, 1784 - 1981 (PR100/2)
Marriages, 1849 - 1989 (PR100/3)
Burials, 1815 - 1950 (PR100/4)
Services, 1858 - 1972 (PR100/5)
Confirmations, 1899 - 1960 (PR100/6)

Other records:

Reserved for Register of Banns of Marriage [not yet deposited] (PR100/7)
Churchwardens Records, 1807 - 1918 (PR100/8)
Vestry/Parochial Church Council Records, 1899 - 2006 (PR100/9)
Memorial Hall (later Parish Hall) Committee Records, 1924 - 1961 (PR100/10)
Financial Records, 1860 - 2006 (PR100/11)
Correspondence and Assorted Papers relating to Parish Affairs, 1789 - 1985 (PR100/12)
Deeds and Legal Papers, 1771 - 1966 (PR100/13)
Burial Ground Records, c. 1832 - 1971 (PR100/14)
Church Fabric and Fittings Records, 1906 - 1972 (PR100/15)
Maps and Plans, 1904 - 1973 (PR100/16)
Photographs, [19th cent] - c. 1997 (PR100/17)
Miscellaneous Items, 1849 - 1973 (PR100/18)
Date1771 - 2006
Extent203 items (approx.)
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsThese items are open to public inspection unless otherwise stated. Some registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives:

Beauchief Abbey Chapel, Anglican Parish (PR31)

Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul, Anglican Parish (PR138)

All Saints Church, Ecclesall, monumental inscriptions (for sections 1-2 of old burial ground) [prepared 1969] (MI/51)

All Saints Church, Ecclesall, monumental inscriptions (from full survey of old burial ground) and plans with proposed improvements [surveyed 1969 - 1971] (PR100/100)

Various church faculty files for All Saints Church, Ecclesall, are available, 1938 onwards (DIOC/FAC)

Record of Church Furnishings of All Saints Church, Ecclesall by National Association of Decorative & Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS) Sheffield Church Recording Group, 1998 - 2002 (Acc. 2002/123)


Related Material at Sheffield Local Studies Library:

Jackson, J.G. The History of All Saints Church, Ecclesall, Sheffield, 1973 (283.4274S)

Spur: Ecclesall Parish Magazine, 2008 - 2011 (283.4274SQ)

Ecclesall Church Building Committee, Ecclesall Church - an Appeal (MP 1618M)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019