RefNoPR101
TitleSheffield, Christ Church, Pitsmoor, Anglican Parish
AdminHistorySheffield, Christ Church, Pitsmoor Anglican church was built in 1850 at the junction of Pitsmoor Road and Nottingham Street, the parish having been constituted in 1845 (Order in Council 8 August). The new parish of Christ Church, Pitsmoor was formed from parts of the parishes of St Peter and St Paul, Sheffield and Christ Church, Attercliffe. In 1846 the parish boundaries were altered by an Order in Council of 27 August. The church was consecrated on 15 August 1850.

In 1998 the parish was part of the Ecclesfield Deanery.
DescriptionRegisters:
Baptisms, 1846 - 1985
Marriages, 1850 - 1993
Burials, 1850 - 1931
Banns, 1861 - 1959
Confirmations, 1943 - 1978 (indexed loose sheets, 1915 - 1935, are also available)
Services, 1851 - 1888, 1909 - 2004

Other records (unlisted):

(Acc. 2008/131):
Parish Magazines, 1893 - 1997

Financial Records:
Parochial Church accounts, 1937 - 1953, 1986 - 1997
Churchwarden accounts, 1903 - 1916, 1926 - 1936, 1942 -1952
Church maintenance account book, 1952
Copies of published church accounts, 1885 - 1903, 1932 - 1976
Copy of Church accounts book, 1954 - 1962
Cash collection books, 1971 - 1998
Stewardship collection book, 1990 - 1996
Mr Thomas Wilkins Charity St Thomas' Day recipients record book, 1898 - 1974

Church choir register book, 1989 - 1990
Pitsmoor National School minute book, 1901 - 1944

(Acc. 2016/54):

Copy of questions, with answers given, at Archdeacon's visitation, 1977 (PR101/item 120)

Correspondence and papers relating to formation of new district of St Cuthbert, Firvale and building of church, 1901 - 1902 (PR101/item 131)

Accounts and vouchers for building expenses of Christ Church, 1850 - 1851 (PR101/item 132)

Correspondence and papers relating to new parish and church of Christ Church, Pitsmoor (including specification of works and site plan), 1845 - 1855 (PR101/item 133)

Correspondence and papers relating to new district/later parish of St Leonard, Norwood (including plan of district, 1938), 1938 and 1950(PR101/item 134)

Correspondence, draft scheme with schedule, paper and plan relating to new district of St Cecilia, Parson Cross, 1938 - 1939 (PR101/item 135)

Copy of trust deed ('Jarvis Charity Deed') for augmentation of benefice income by Miss M. A. Jarvis, 1924 (PR101/item 136)

Map and draft scheme with schedule for alteration of boundaries of parishes of Pitsmoor, Hillsborough and Wadsley Bridge and St Mark Grenoside, 1939 (PR101/item 137)

Centenary Appeal 1950 papers (list of those to whom a circular letter was sent, and covering letters received with donations), 1950 (PR101/item 138)

Pitsmoor Mission Hall, Woodside Lane foundation deed, appointment of new trustees, contract for sale, and copies of deeds, etc., 1883 - 1941 (PR101/item 139)

Citations and faculties (x 7 and a copy) and correspondence and papers relating to same (includes faculty and papers for War Memorial), 1902 - 1955 (PR101/item 140)

Correspondence and papers relating to burial ground (including questions and counsel's opinion on rights and duties of clergy in regard to burial grounds in Sheffield, 1938), 1855, 1924 and 1938 (PR101/item 141)

Copies of London Gazette and papers relating to new districts and parishes in the Pitsmoor area, 1945 - 1939 (PR101/item 142)

Draft agreement for maintenance of the church clock by Sheffield City Council and a letter, 1934, and agreement, 1952 (PR101/item 143)

Correspondence and papers relating to sale of hostel at 148 Burngreave Road, 1953 - 1954 (PR101/item 144)

Plan made in connection with 'proposed ecclesiastical reorganisation area no. 4 (OS map showing Pitsmoor and Wicker parishes', [undated but after 1935] (PR101/item 145)

Miscellaneous papers relating to benefice income, dilapidations, proposed alterations to parish boundaries; correspondence relating to removal of stained glass windows and storage in Handsworth pit 1940, with three drawings; curates' licences for Rev. I. S. R. Mackay, Rev. D. M. Dominy, Rev. C. H. Cowper, Rev. N. B. P. King, 1924 - 1975 (PR101/item 146)

Plans of south and east elevations of proposed new chancel by J. D. Webster, architect, 1887 (PR101/item 147)
Date1850 - 1993
Extent89 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsSome items are only available on microfiche.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield, Christ Church, Attercliffe Anglican Parish (PR28)

Sheffield, St Peter and St Paul, Anglican Parish (PR138)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020