RefNoPR111
TitleSheffield, St James, Woodhouse, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryWoodhouse was designated an ecclesiastical district in the parish of Handsworth in 1875 and became a separate parish on the completion of St James' Church in 1878. Before this, services, including baptisms, were held in the local Endowed School. The church site, formerly that of the Handsworth Tithe Barn, was given by Thomas Cadman. A choir vestry was added to the church in 1925.

There is no burial ground. The church is located on Tithe Barn Lane and is in the Attercliffe deanery.

A Mission Church at Woodhouse Mill opened in 1892. The church never had a dedication of its own and came under the jurisdiction of the Parish Church of St. James. It was not licensed for marriages, but did hold baptism and funeral services. The church closed in 1995 due to financial difficulties and a declining congregation.
DescriptionRegisters:
Baptisms, 1875 - 1986 (PR111/1)
Marriages, 1878 - 1985 (PR111/2)
Banns, 1961 - 1999 (PR111/3)
Services, 1930 - 1989 (PR111/4)

Other records (not listed):

(Acc. 2010/79)
Page of annual vestry meeting and annual parochial church meeting minutes, April 1945

(Acc. 2010/115)
Parocial Church Council Accounts, Jan 1940 - Dec 1992

(Acc. 2017/84)
Parochial Church Council minutes, 1938-2000 [lacks 1988-1990]
Annual accounts, 1949-1960
Parish magazines, 1888-2007 [with gaps]

Correspondence and plans re. new vicarage, 1960-1962; General Purposes Committee minutes, July 1962;
Woodhouse Council of Churches constitution, July 1963, and Mission study and venture report ('Operation Meeting Point'), June 1966

Woodhouse Mill Mission Church
Service registers, 1941-1995; Church Council minutes, 1936-1995 [lacks 1957-1970]; conveyance of land at Woodhouse Mill, February 1893 (copy); annual statements of account and balance sheets (inc. rennovation fund), 1964, 1980-1995; Electoral Rolls, 1984, 1990, 1995; architect's plan and section drawings, March 1969, and proposed alterations (undated, 20th cent.); Terrier and Inventory, July 1990; quinquennial inspection report, August 1993
Date1875 - 2007
Extent34 items (registers only)
AccessStatusRestricted
AccessConditionsSome registers are available on microfiche only
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives

Various faculties, 1919-2000 (DIOC/FAC)

Deed of trust of the vicarage of St James, Handsworth Woodhouse (with a schedule of deeds), 1888 (MD6469)

Related Material at Sheffield Local Studies Library

Parish magazines, 1891-1894 (283.4274SQ) and August 1946, July 1957, August 1957, February 1960 (PLC WOOD2)

Buckley, Richard J., 'St. James Church Woodhouse 1878-1978: A History' (Sheffield: 1977) (283.4274 S)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021