RefNoPR12
TitleSheffield, St Luke, Hollis Croft, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe parish of St. Luke was created out of Sheffield parish (St Peter and St. Paul). The church was situated on the corner of Garden Street and Solly Street, and its foundation stone was laid on June 29th 1854. The building, designed in the late perpendicular style by Joseph Mitchell of Sheffield, was not completed until 1860, and in November of that year it was consecrated. The church could accommodate 370 people.

The church's jubilee year of 1910 was marked by extensive restoration, with the chancel floor raised, the organ remodelled and removed to the north side of the chancel, and a choir vestry formed. A grant of £1400 was by given by the Commissioners for the building of a vicarage near the church. This was subsequently sold and a new vicarage built on Western Bank. The church schools, first built by subscription in 1817, were rebuilt in 1873.

The church closed in 1939 and was demolished. The parish was divided between St. George and the cathedral church of St. Peter and St. Paul.
DescriptionRegisters:

Baptisms, 1852 - 1938 (PR12/1)
Marriages, 1860 - 1938 (PR12/2)
Services, 1928 - 1939 (PR12/3)

Other records (not listed):

Parochial Church Council minutes (signed), 1902-1924.
Date1852 - 1939
Extent10 items
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsSome registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialFor earlier and later baptisms and marriages see Sheffield Parish Church (St. Peter and St. Paul) records (ref. PR 138). See also St. George for later baptisms and marriages (ref. PR 62).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019