RefNoPR123
TitleSheffield, St Peter, Basegreen (Gleadless), Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe first mass was said at Gleadless Town End on Sunday 27th August 1944 in the schoolroom of the Gleadless High School in front of twelve persons. On Whitsunday 1945 the congregation moved to the community hut on Charnock Hall Road. From 25th August 1946 a hut in White Lane, Gleadless, was used for worship. The hut (dedicated by the Archdeacon of Chesterfield on 24th September 1946) became the Mission Church of St Mary the Virgin. The Sunday School was opened on Trinity Sunday 1946.

St Peter's opened in 1955 as a mission church in the parish of Ridgeway within the Diocese of Derby. A service for the laying of the foundation stone was conducted on Saturday 22nd May 1954 by Major General L. C. Manners-Smith, C.B.E.

When diocesan boundaries were altered in 1973/4, Basegreen was transferred to the Diocese of Sheffield and is now served jointly with the parish of Gleadless by a team ministry.

The church is located on the corner of White Lane and Lister Avenue and is in the Attercliffe Deanery.
DescriptionRegisters:

Baptisms, 1955 - 1979 (PR123/1)
Marriages, 1754 - 1985 (PR123/2)
Banns, 1978 - 1988 (PR123/3)
Services, 1946 - 1997 (PR123/4)

Other records (not listed):
4 Parochial Church Council Minute Books 1955-89, St Mary's Mission Church Minute Book 1946-55, Silver Brick Book and AGM Meeting Minute Book 1974-87 (Acc. 2000/68)

File regarding Old Mission Church & redevelopment, envelope with photos & diocese news, file re extensions & Jubilee rooms, file regarding church fabric, file of maps & plans, 1938 - 1981 (Acc. 2000/68 add 1)
Date1955 -
Extent8 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialFor earlier Ridgefield Parish registers, contact Derbyshire Record Office, Matlock.
For related registers, see Sheffield, St Mary the Virgin, Beighton, Anglican Parish (PR73)

Various faculties available (DIOC/FAC)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020