RefNoPR13
TitleSheffield, St Stephen, Fawcett Street, Netherthorpe, Anglican Parish
AdminHistorySt. Stephen's Church, designed by Flockton and Son, Sheffield, was built and opened in 1857 at a cost of £5,700. The church, consecrated by Archbishop Musgrave on July 8th 1858, was enlarged in 1865 and an adjoining Church Room built in the churchyard in 1907 at a cost of £500.

Day and Sunday School buildings were built in 1860 at a cost of £2,200, raised by subscription and a Government grant of £930. An Infants' schoolroom and a Parish Room for 200 people were added in 1886 at a cost of £1,360.

St. Stephen was host to the Young Men's Society, founded in 1861. A number of churchwardens and Church Council members belonged to the Society, whose activities included religious, educational, provident, temperance, social, literary and recreational work, as well as its Sunday afternoon Bible Class.

St. Stephen's Recreation Ground Limited had capital of £500 in £1 shares, taken up by members and friends of the church. This money was used to buy three acres of land at Sandygate in Sheffield, which was used for recreational purposes.

The church closed in 1939 and the building received slight bomb damage in 1940. The building reopened in the late 1950s as a community centre, St. Stephen's House; and from 1964 it was the church for the united benefice of St. Stephen with St. Philip and St. Anne.

The church is situated in the Hallam Deanery.
DescriptionRegisters:

Baptisms, 1858 - 1940
Marriages, 1859 - 1940
Banns, 1892 - 1972
Services, 1900 - [1964]
Confirmations, 1884-1940

Other records (not listed):

(Acc. 1989/76)
Various building and account records, 1860-1978.

(Acc. 1998/26)
Pew rents account book, 1876-1882; receipt stubs, 1907-1918; church magazines, 1902-1914; church accounts, 1875-1935; folders of bills, receipts, estimates; lists of seat holders, 1909, 1910-1912; marriage licences, 1904-1959; consents to marriages of minors, 1935-1939; licences and faculties, 1912, 1919 and 1923; photographs, c. 1900.

(Acc. 1990/54)
Miscellaneous records, including PCC and Vestry Meeting minutes, 1966-1983; account book, 1955-1965; St. Stephen's House minutes, 1956-1965.

(Acc. 2008/57)
Minute book of St Stephen's Young Men's Bible Class, 1867 - 1874, which came to be known as the Young Men's Society.
Date1858 - 1983
Extent28 items
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsThese items are open to public inspection unless otherwise stated. Some registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialVestry Minutes and record of Meetings of Sheffield Sunday School (MD7965); St. Philip (PR10) and St. Anne (PR11).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020