RefNoPR144
TitleSheffield, St Lawrence, Tinsley, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe present church is on the site of an ancient Norman building. Its rebuilding in 1878 at a cost of £5000 was paid for by a Mrs. Overend, in memory of her first husband, George Hounsfield. None of the original building was incorporated in the new church, which was consecrated on 19th April 1879 by Archbishop Thomson of York.

Tinsley St. Lawrence is currently (2011) one of four churches comprising The Rivers Team, which also includes St. Andrew (Brinsworth), St Mary (Catcliffe), and St. Helen (Treeton).

The church is situated on St. Lawrence Road, off Bawtry Road, in the Rotherham deanery.
DescriptionRegisters:

Composite, 1711 - 1812 (PR144/1)
Baptisms, 1813 - 1967 (PR144/2)
Marriages, 1754 - 1968 (PR144/3)
Burials, 1813 - 1967 (PR144/4)
Banns, 1845 - 1927 (PR144/5)
Services, 1893 - 1952 (PR144/6)

Other records (listed):

Vestry Minute Book, 1844 - 1918 [with Surveyors of the Highways accounts, 1833 - 1839] (PR144/28)
Parochial Church Council Minute Book, 1920 - 1939 (PR144/29)
Account books, 1785 - 1952 (PR144/30-34)
School records, 1872 - 1947 (PR144/35-39)
Overseers of the Poor account books, 1802 - 1841 (PR144/40-42)
Surveyors of the Highways account books, 1797 - 1853 (PR144/43-54)
St Columba's mission church register of services, 1939 - 1958 (PR144/55)
St Columba's mission church cash book, 1932 - 1956 (PR144/56)


Other records (unlisted):

Items relating to the fabric and fittings of the church and school, c. 1600 - 1975; various minutes, accounts and conveyances (Acc. 2000/44)
Date1711 - 1968
Extent31 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialFor earlier records, see Rotherham Minster (formerly All Saints) (ref. PR87) and Sheffield, St. Peter & St. Paul (ref. PR138).

Various Diocesan faculty files, 1919-2000
File refs. DIOC/FAC/95, 225, 345, 385, 461, 886, 1095, 1095a, 1145, 1244, 1723, 1998, 2198, 2386, 2692, 2935, 3030, 3488, 3526, 3624.

Forms 37 (Land) for South Yorkshire under the Finance (1909-1910) Act:
Adwick Common (including St. Lawrence) (ref. SY385/K43/1)

Johnson, Stephen, 'The Tinsley Chronicle - The Amazingly Startling Story of One of Sheffield's Oldest Suburbs' (2010) (ref. JOH/LOCAL)

Microfilm of plans of proposed additions to Tinsley Church, 1780 (ref. SY101)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020