RefNoPR145
TitleSheffield, St Augustine, Endcliffe, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe parish church of St. Augustine (of Canterbury) was formed in 1898 out of the parishes of St. Mark, Broomhill, and All Saints, Ecclesall. It was Henry Arnold Favell, vicar of St. Mark's and Archdeacon of Sheffield, who wished to provide a church for the Brocco Bank district of Sheffield; and to this end he secured a site and raised nearly £8,000 towards the building, but did not see it built before his death in 1896.

The cornerstone of St. Augustine's was laid in July 1897, and the building was consecrated on 14th December 1898 by Archbishop Maclagan. The church, designed by Mr. J. D. Webster of Sheffield, had cost £10,310 to build. It is also known as the 'Favell Memorial Church', in recognition of the Archdeacon's role in its founding.

The church, situated on Brocco Bank, is in the Ecclesall deanery.
DescriptionRegisters:

Baptisms, 1899 - 1969 (PR145/1)
Marriages, 1899 - 1972 (PR145/2)
Banns, 1934 - 1989 (PR145/3)
Confirmations, 1931 - 1968 (PR145/4)
Services and Preachers, 1932 - 1981 (PR145/5)

Other records (not listed):

Parish magazines, 1979 - 1990, and photographs (Acc. 1994/10)
Date1899 - 1989
Extent28 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives:

For earlier records, see St. Mark, Broomhill (ref. PR133) and All Saints, Ecclesall (ref. PR100)

Diocese of Sheffield faculty files, from 1914 onwards (DIOC/FAC).

Planning application files, 1971-2006:
File refs. CA206/1971/4873 and CA206/2006/980-LBC

Scrapbook album made by Reverend Meerperdas Edward Charles (vicar of St Augustine's, 1978-1990). Includes black and white and colour photographs of the church - internal/external views. (ref. MD7786/2/2)

Parish Magazines, St. Augustine's Church, 1979-1990 (ref. MD7786/4/1-4)

Papers and plans relating to the rebuilding of St Augustine's Church, 20th cent. (ref. X496)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019