RefNoPR148
TitleSheffield, St Jude, Eldon Street, Anglican Parish
AdminHistorySheffield, St Jude, Anglican parish church, near the foot of Eldon Street, was erected in 1849, an edifice in the Gothic style of the 13th century. The site (except a small portion) was given by Mr Samuel Young and included a partially working coal mine. The church is reared on 33 pillars rising from the bottom of the mine.

In 1881 a new organ was erected at a cost of £400 and in 1887 a porch was added. Pews were replaced with open seats and an oak pulpit was erected. In 1892 the chancel was re-floored and there are 600 sittings. The parsonage house, Flavell Road, was erected in 1866-7 at a cost of £1,670, on a site given by the Church Burgesses.

It is believed the church closed c. 1939.
DescriptionRegisters:
Baptisms, 1849 - 1939
Marriages, 1849 - 1939
Date1849 - 1939
Extent9 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019