RefNoPR151
TitleSheffield, St John the Evangelist, Deepcar, Anglican Parish
AdminHistorySt. John the Evangelist Church was opened on 23rd May 1878 as a Chapel of Ease to St. Mary, Bolsterstone, occupying a site given by Mr Windle Taylor of Leicestershire. Prior to this, services were held in Deepcar National School by successive vicars of Bolsterstone (c. 1860s). A decision to build a church had been taken at a public meeting held in the school in 1873, at which Edward, 3rd Baron Wharncliffe presided. Several hundred pounds were raised at this meeting. The building was designed (by Mr Ewan Christian) to allow for future extension, and additions (which included a chancel, vestry and organ chamber) were made in 1893 by C. M. Wilson. The church remained in Bolsterstone parish until 1940 when a new parish of Stocksbridge with Deepcar was formed. A separate parish of Deepcar was created in c.1983, within the Ecclesfield deanery.

Before 1st May 1940, baptisms solemnised at Deepcar are recorded in Bolsterstone St. Mary registers. The church was licensed for marriages in 1964.
DescriptionRegisters:

Baptisms, 1940 - 1990 (PR151/1)
Marriages, 1964 - 2000 (PR151/2)
Banns, 1964 - 1986 (PR151/3)
Services, 1873 - 1992 (PR151/4)
Confirmations, 1953 - 1995 (PR151/5)

Other records (not listed):

Parochial Church Council minutes of meetings, 1922-1955; annual Vestry Meeting minutes, 1906-1954; Accounts, 1905-1951; Deepcar National School, including pupil-teacher related, Inspectors' reports, Accounts and minutes, 1855-1940; miscellaneous papers, [20th cent.]
(Acc. 1993/109)
Date1940 - 2000
Extent23 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives:

Bolsterstone St. Mary, Anglican Parish (PR53)

Correspondence relating to St. John's church building fund, 1874-1879 (WhM/468)

Diocese of Sheffield faculty files, from 1914 onwards (DIOC/FAC).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020