RefNoPR152
TitleMortomley, High Green, St Saviour, Anglican Parish
AdminHistorySt Saviour's church was built by public subscription as a memorial to Parkin Jeffcock, a mining engineer who died attempting to rescue the victims of a disaster at Oaks Colliery, near Barnsley, in December 1866. Following Parkin's death, his family launched an appeal for the erection of a church, and provided a site immediately opposite the family's home, Mortomley Hall. The church was designed by the architect James Brooks and consecrated on 7th August 1872 by the Archbishop of York. There is no burial ground.

St. Saviour's was a daughter church to St. John, in the parish of Chapeltown, until 1925 when Mortomley became a separate parish. The church, on Mortomley Lane, High Green, is situated in the Ecclesfield deanery.

St Saviour’s was re-ordered in 2005, entailing the removal of the original wooden pews in the nave and replacement with chairs, the removal of the pulpit and the addition of an electric organ. A new chapel was also created which houses the church's newest stained glass window, installed in 2010.
DescriptionRegisters:

Baptisms 1872 - 1988 (PR152/1)
Marriages, 1925 - 1983 (PR152/2)
Banns, 1925 - 1989 (PR152/3)
Services, 1916 - 1990 (PR152/4)

Other records (not listed):

(Acc. 1995/13)
Parochial Church Council minutes, 1922-1946; electoral rolls 1955, 1972 and 1984-1989

(Acc. 2006/143)
Parochial Church Council minutes (unsigned), 1989-2004; Buildings and Refurbishment Committee minutes (unsigned), 2002-2004; Re-ordering Committee minutes (unsigned), 2004.
Date1872 - 2004
Extent36 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives:

Chapeltown, St. John, Anglican Parish (PR93)

Diocese of Sheffield faculty files, 1914 onwards (DIOC/FAC).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020