RefNoPR2
TitleSheffield, St James, Norton, Anglican Parish
AdminHistorySt James Church, Norton is understood to date from at least 1170, when Robert FitzRanulph Lord of Alfreton founded the nearby Beauchief Abbey and bestowed St James Church (along with other churches in the area) to the Abbey. Up until the dissolution of Beauchief Abbey in 1536, it was the custom that a canon from Beauchief presided at St James Church and lived at Norton (presumed to be in a dwelling on the site of the Chantry Cottage, Norton Lane).

In addition to St James Church, there was also a later Mission Room at Bradway attached to Norton Parish (opened in 1887).

The parish of Norton was formerly in Derbyshire. In 1903 the area of the parish which included Meersbrook, Meersbrook Bank, Norton Lees, Norton Hammer, Blackmoor, Little Norton and Norton Woodseats was added to the City of Sheffield (Sheffield Corporation Act 1903). The rest of the civil parish was absorbed into Sheffield under the Sheffield Extension Act 1933 (operational from 1 Apr 1934).

The parish of Norton originally formed part of the Diocese of Southwell. It later became part of the Diocese of Derby. St James Church, situated on Norton Lane, Norton, Sheffield, is now in the Ecclesall Deanery of the Diocese of Sheffield (having been transferred to the Diocese of Sheffield on 1 Jan 1974).
DescriptionRegisters:
Composites (Baptisms, Marriages and Burials), 1559 - 1812 (PR2/1)
Baptisms, 1813 - 1985 (PR2/2)
Marriages, 1754 - 1983 (PR2/3)
Burials, 1813 - 1948 (PR2/4)
Banns of Marriages, 1973 - 2006 (PR2/5)
Services, 1888 - 2007 (PR2/6)
Confirmations, 1930 - 1982 (PR2/7)

Other Records:
Churchwardens Records (including Overseers of the Poor and Constables accounts), 1808 - 1922 (PR2/8)
Vestry/Parochial Church Council (PCC) Records [not yet deposited] (PR2/9)
Financial Records, 1850 - 1997 (PR2/10)
Deeds and Legal Documents, [early 14th cent] - 1982 (PR2/11)
Church Property and Land Records (including glebe terriers, maps and plans), 1612 - 1980 (PR2/12)
Church Fabric and Fitting Records, 1920 - 1996 (PR2/13)
Norton Free School Records, [c. 1860] - 1945 (PR2/14)
Printed Material (parish magazines, church year books, etc.), 1887 - 2000 (PR2/15)
Miscellaneous Items, [1610] - 1986 (PR2/16)
Date[early 14th cent] - 2007
Extent267 items
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsSome registers are available to view on Findmypast
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialPR2/1/1-5 and PR2/3/1-2 are transcribed in L.L. Simpson, ' The Parish Registers of St James, Norton, co. Derby, 1559-1812', (1908, 2 vols), which readers are asked to consult first. These volumes are shelved with other transcripts as TI 14/1 (baptisms) and TI 14/2 (marriages, burials, and index for all three categories).

Sheffield, St Paul, Norton Lees, Anglican Parish (PR99)

Sheffield, St Chad, Norton Woodseats, Anglican Parish (PR95)

For Diocesan records (pre-1934 when Norton was transferred to the Diocese of Sheffield) contact Derbyshire Record Office (for the Diocese of Derby) and Nottinghamshire Record Office (Diocese of Southwell).

Sheffield, St James, Norton, Anglican Parish: parish magazines, 1945 - 1954 (7 bound volumes: 1945, 1948-1951, 1953-1954) and annual reports (including annual meetings, financial statements), Feb 1983 - Apr 2007 (Acc. 2012/17)

Vickers, J. Edward, chapter on St. James, in 'The Old and Historical Buildings of Sheffield' (1968) (ref. VIC/ARCH 81/2006)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020