RefNoPR87
TitleRotherham Minster (formerly All Saints), Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryRotherham All Saints is an ancient parish, with a church believed to have existed on the present site since at least 937. This Saxon building was replaced by a Norman church in the twelfth century. The Manor of Rotherham, including the church, passed into the ownership of Rufford Abbey in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, and the monks in turn began rebuilding the church. By 1500 the greater part of the work was complete. This included the addition of the Jesus Chapel in the south choir aisle, the gift of Archbishop Thomas Rotherham, who may have made other substantial contributions to the building. The clergy vestry was added in 1540.

Several additions to the nave of the church were made throughout the eighteenth century, including the installation of box pews, galleries and (in 1777) an organ loft. Between 1873 and 1875 the whole of the interior was cleaned, restored and the ground floor reseated under the supervision of the architect Sir Gilbert Scott. In addition, the stonework was cleaned and repaired and the oak roofs cleaned, polished and, in some places, replaced. The 15th century chancel stalls, including two carved misericords, were retained, and remain the oldest example of carved woodwork in the church.

The graveyard was closed to new burials in 1854. The organ was rebuilt and enlarged in 1905 at a cost of £1,000. The church clock was erected in 1875 at a cost of £290, and a new porch with approach from Church Street was dedicated in 1914.

At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537 the presentation of the living, with the lands of Rufford Abbey, was given to the Earl of Shrewsbury, later passing to the Howards of Effingham, and most recently (in 1937) to the Bishop of Sheffield.

The church, situated in the Rotherham deanery, was officially designated a minster church in November 2004. Its daughter church is St. Barnabas Broom Valley.
DescriptionRegisters:

Composites (Baptisms, Marriages and Burials), 1540-1789 (PR87/1)
Baptisms, 1687-1999 (PR87/2)
Marriages, 1692-1996 (PR87/3)
Burials, 1678-1881 (PR87/4)
Banns, 1789-1991 (PR87/5)
Services and Preachers, 1865-2009 (PR87/6)
Confirmations, 1947-1973 (PR87/7)

Other records (not listed):

(Ref. PR87/120) Churchwardens' book, 1669 - 1722
Including: overseers of the poor accounts, 1672 - 1721 (with gaps); churchwardens accounts, 1672 - 1698, 1700 - 1718 and 1721; constables accounts, 1672 - 1722; At front: memoranda of H. Moorehouse's disbursements on being admitted to the living, 1681; Christmas dole payments, 168_; four pages of receipts of briefs, 1672 - 1681; inventory of plate, linen etc., 1672; and of rents from houses (for poor dole); memorandum regarding burial rights in churchyard (in dispute with Gresbrooke), 1672; names of churchwardens, overseers of the poor and highway surveyors elected to office, 1669 - 1703; At end, reversed: receipts for briefs, 1672 - 1690; settlements of seats in the church, [?], 1634, 1673, [?], 1664.

(Ref. PR87/121) Churchwardens' book, 1763 - 1828
Including: cash accounts, 1763 - 1828; dole and workhouse payments made out of church rents, 1794 - 1803, 1800 - 1808; estimate for repairs and expenditure, 1815/1816; minutes of vestry meetings with resolutions authorising above expenditure [e.g. repairs to church, appointment of sexton, military levy, glebe, etc.], memoranda relating to charities, bequests, etc.

(Ref. PR87/122) Churchwardens' book, 1816 - 1847
Including: cash accounts, 1827 - 1847; annual assessments, 1816/17 - 1846/47; with memoranda regarding perambulations of "quarters", administration of Beadsall's dole, appointment of church officers, resolutions taken at vestry meetings (as 177), names of churchwardens, [1779 - 1834].

For other items see church inspection list

(Acc. No. 1983/71)
Church Council Minutes St Peter's Mission Church, Ickles [20th cent.]

(Acc. 2007/25)
Parish magazines, 1875-1976 [with gaps]; Rotherham Parish Church Missionary Committee minutes and associated papers, 1950s-1989; 'The Link' news sheets, St Barnabas, Broom Valley [daughter church to All Saints], 1961-1971.

(Acc. 2007/43)
Churchwardens' accounts, 1843 - 1851; Churchwardens' accounts with subscriptions to various church and charity needs, 1874 - 1882; Church rates, 1860 - 1862; Pew rents, 1868 - 1874; School committee minutes, 1851 - 1878; Service collection accounts, 1797 - 1839; Sunday School accounts, 1833 - 1874 and Sick Poor Fund accounts 1872 - 1879, with memorandum about bell-ringers 1894; note book including charity disbursements, c.1890 - 1897.

Churchwardens' accounts, St. Peter's Mission Hall, Ickles, 1885-1914 (Acc. No. 2007/44)

(Acc. 2012/41)
Emergency baptisms (at Moorgate Hospital), certificate stubs, 1953 - 1970; registers of Services: St Peter's Mission Church, Ickles, 1892-1956, St. Barnabas, Broom Valley, 1951-2001, The Chapel of Our Lady on the Chantrey Bridge, 1924-1988; Church Council Minutes, St Peter's Mission Church, Ickles, 1914 - 1925; reports of Quinquennial Inspections, All Saints, 2001and St. Barnabas, 2003; photographs (decayed stonework), [c.1970s]; churchwardens' bill receipts, 1847 - 1879; architectural drawings (alterations to porch, south entrance), 1964 [roll]; Rotherham Parish Year Books, 1883 - 1933 [with gaps]; parish magazines, 1875-1963 [with gaps].

(Acc. 2013/17)
Annual reports and accounts, minutes, etc., 1960 - 2013

(Acc.2018/3)
Service booklets, parish magazines, parish accounts etc., [1890] - 2017
Date1540 - 2009
Extent165 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsThese items are open to public inspection unless otherwise stated. Some registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialRelated Material at Sheffield Archives:

Architectural drawings, 19th-20th cent. (Acc. No. 2010/182)

Related Material at Sheffield Local Studies Library:

'The Link' news sheets, St Barnabas, Broom Valley, 1961-1971 (Acc. No. 2007/25)

John Guest, 'Early Parish Registers of Rotherham' [baptisms, 1542-1563; marriages, 1540-1560; burials, 1541-1563]. Edited by Robert White. (Worksop : Robert White, 1879). Available at Sheffield Local Studies library (ref. 929.34274S).

C. S. James and J. W. Goodall (eds.), 'Yorkshire Marriage Registers. West Riding. Vols. I-II. Rotherham, 1540-1837' (with index) (London : Phillimore, 1914-15) (ref. 929.34274S).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020