RefNoPR91
TitleAston-cum-Aughton, All Saints, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThere was a church in Aston by the time the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086 and it is thought that this church may have dated from the reign of Edward the Confessor (c. 1003 - 1066). Following the Norman Conquest, the church was demolished by William Warren, Earl of Montain, and replaced by a 12th-century stone building, much of which forms the present structure. The chancel, aisles, porch and tower were completed by 1450 and the choir and clergy vestries added in 1860. Restoration work began in 1956. The south aisle was made into a baptistry in 1957 to commemorate those from the parish who died in the First and Second World Wars.

William Mason, who was a friend of the poet Thomas Gray (and was also himself a poet), was rector of Aston from 1754 - 1797.

The church of All Saints is situated on Church Lane, Aston-cum-Aughton and is in the Deanery of Laughton.
DescriptionRegisters:

Composites (Baptisms, Marriages and Burials), 1558 - 1812 (PR91/1)
Baptisms, 1813 - 2000 (PR91/2)
Marriages, 1754 - 2012 (PR91/3)
Burials, 1813 - 2011 (PR91/4)
Banns of Marriages, 1935 - 1942, 1995 - 2017 (PR91/5)
Services, 1876 - 2015 (PR91/6)
Confirmations, 1956 - 2010 (PR91/7)

Other records (not listed), including:

Constables' accounts, 1740 - 1812 and 1812 - 1852 (PR91/134-135)

Churchwardens' and overseers' of the poor accounts, 1760 - 1820 (PR91/136a).

Churchwardens' and overseers' of the poor accounts, 1820 - 1840 [with churchwardens accounts dating 1832 - 1832] (PR91/136b).

Churchwardens' accounts, 1832 - 1904 (PR91/79).

Surveyors of the Highway accounts, 1769 - 1840, 1843 - 1844, 1845 - 1846, 1846 - 1847, 1847 - 1848 (PR91/138-142)

(Acc. 2011/96)
Survey and apportionment of land under the [1767] "Act for dividing and inclosing [several] open fields commons or waste grounds situate lying and being within the manors of Aston and Wales in the County of York". Includes signatures of surveyors Edward Oates, George Jackson and Henson Kirkby; and names and signatures of beneficiaries.
Dated 13th April 1768

(Acc. 2016/28)
Box 1
Communicants' roll, 1917-1924; minutes, Church of England Men's Society (Aston-cum-Aughton branch), 1914-1922; [Parochial Church Council] minutes, 1914-1922

Box 2
Parochial Church Council minutes, 1945-1951, 1962-1970; account book, 1955-1976

Box 3
Account book, 1963-1976; Rector's account book (Harriet Alderson Charity), 1873-1979; Aston Charity Trustees account book, 1752-1977

(Acc. 2017/73)
Terrier and inventory, 1915;
[20th cent.] ms. transcripts of Aston registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, 1558-1824, banns of marriage, 1754-1798, terriers, 1764-1877 [Photocopies listed as PR91/23-25.]
Date1558 - 2017
Extent54 items (registers only)
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsThese items are open to public inspection unless otherwise stated. Some registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020