RefNoSY492
TitleSchofields (Yorkshire) Ltd., Department Store, Angel Street, Sheffield (formerly T. B. and W. Cockayne)
AdminHistoryIn 1829 Thomas Bagshawe Cockayne and William Cockayne, the sons of William Cockayne, flax dresser, opened a draper's shop at 1 Angel Street, Sheffield. The company was incorporated in 1899 by which time it had expanded into a large department store with its own cabinet making factory. This store was destroyed together with many of the company's records in the Sheffield Blitz of December 1940. The company continued to trade, utilising various premises in the centre of Sheffield, and were able to reopen the first phase of the new store on the old site in 1949. The final phase of rebuilding was completed in 1955.

In 1972 T. B. and W. Cockaynes Ltd was taken over by Schofields (Leeds) Ltd and the name of the store changed to Schofields. The store closed in November 1982.
DescriptionMinutes, accounts, photographs etc.
Datec. 1872 - 1977
Extent425 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020