RefNoSY686
TitleWoodhouse United Reform Church
AdminHistoryThe notes on the church's history in SY686/N2/3 below state that there was a small community of Independents in Handsworth Woodhouse from the later years of the 18th century but for a number of reasons, including the establishment of a Methodist chapel, the Independents had ceased to be active by about 1800. Then about 1827 Mr Hattersley, a farmer from Catcliffe, began preaching. A new community of Independents grew up and a place of worship was registered in 1828. This flourished and in 1836 a new chapel was built called (in the 1851 religious census) Zion Independent Chapel. In 1875 it was decided to build a new and larger chapel. The foundation stone for this was laid on 30 October 1876 and the church was opened on 4 September 1877. The church was closed in December 1985
Date1835 - 1985
Extent56 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020