RefNoSYJA
TitleSouth Yorkshire Joint Secretariat
AdminHistorySouth Yorkshire Joint Secretariat (SYJS) was established in 1986 following the abolition of South Yorkshire County Council. Under an agreement entered into by the four District Councils within South Yorkshire, SYJS became a department of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council (Barnsley MBC). It was set up to provide support services to the Police, Fire and Civil Defence (now called Fire & Rescue) and Passenger Transport authorities. The Pensions Authority was created in 1988 and became the fourth main customer.

Metropolitan Passenger Transport Executives (PTEs) were established by the Transport Act of 1968. They aimed to co-ordinate transportation policy in the major conurbations.
DescriptionMinutes, agendas and related papers of South Yorkshire Fire & Civil Defence Authority (now Fire & Rescue), South Yorkshire Police Authority, South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority and South Yorkshire Pensions Authority.

Other items (unlisted):

(Acc. 2012/60):
Deeds, including conveyances, mortgages and abstracts of title relating to land and premises at 56 and 58 Carver Street, 175 Rockingham Street, 96 Rockingham Lane and 20-24 Wellington Street, 1806-1983.
Parties include George J. Marples, Messrs. Jepson and Co. Ltd, Joseph Edwin Burgin, Samuel Meggitt, E. Jepson, Edwin and Sarah Brown, South Yorkshire County Council.
Includes also last will and testament of Catherine Bright, widow of William Bright, July 1830.

(Acc. 2012/62):
Deeds and associated documents (including land certificates, plans of land, etc.) relating to Carver Street, Wellington Street, Rockingham Street and Rockingham Lane (site of the former South Yorkshire Fire and Civil Defence Authority headquarters in Sheffield), 1788 - 1983; agreements between South Yorkshire Fire and Civil Defence Authority and various contractors relating to provision of services, 1984 - 1997; architect's drawings of Fire Station Complex in Sheffield, 1982 - 1983:
1. Deeds, plans, land certificates, etc., relating to freehold property - site of 50 - 54 Carver Street, Sheffield (purchased from R. J. Stokes and Company Ltd), Jan 1788 - Jun 1983.
2. Deeds, etc. relating to land and premises fronting Carver Street, Wellington Street, Rockingham Street and Rockingham Lane, Sheffield, purchased from Sheffield City Council, May 1817 - Mar 1983.
3. Deeds, etc. relating to 64 Carver Street Sheffield (including the Royal George, Carver Street), Feb 1871 - Jan 1975.
4. Deeds, etc. relating to 89 and 91 Rockingham Lane, Sheffield, Sep 1941 - May 1974.
5. Deeds, etc. relating to purchase of land at Carver Street, Sheffield from Sheffield Metal Company Ltd, Oct 1977 - Nov 1983.
6. Agreements between South Yorkshire Fire and Civil Defence Authority and various contractors relating to provision of services (control systems, building work, ICT, heating, catering, consultancy, etc., Feb 1984 - Dec 1997.
7. Agreement between South Yorkshire County Council and Gleeson (Sheffield) Ltd for completion of superstructure works in connection with the construction of Fire Station Complex at Wellington Street, Sheffield, 8 May 1984 (with architect's drawings of Fire Station Complex, 1982 - 1983).
8. Bills of Quantities for Central Fire Station Complex at Wellington Street, Sheffield, Nov 1983.
Date1788 - 2012
Extent1832 items
AccessStatusRestricted
AccessConditionsSome files are closed to public access under Part 3 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended. Written permission to see these items is required from the owner. Please contact Sheffield Archives for further information.
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019