RefNoUCR/13
TitleBelgian Refugee Fund Committee
DescriptionThe Belgian Refugee Fund Committee was established in Nov 1914 by members of the Upper Chapel congregation with the aim of providing 'hospitality for distressed Belgians'. Mr W. Holmes was appointed as the Commitee's chairman with Mr Henry R. Bramley (42 Bank Street) as treasurer and Mr Robert Stevenson (East Broom, 34 Broomsgrove Road) as secretary. The Committee appealed for donations/subscriptions and furnishings to help provide lodging for Belgian refugees. The Committee held meetings at the Channing Hall with the lower class rooms offered for the use of refugees and wounded soldiers.

By Feb 1915, the Commitee was able to support 17 refugees in two houses in Sheffield, A cottage house in Johnson Street had been generously placed at the disposal of the Comittee rent free by Mr George H. Hunt and the Committee also rented a larger house, Brandreth House, Upperthorpe.

The cottage house in Johnson Street was first occupied from 22 Dec 1914 by a refugee family from Antwerp 'of superior working class' - a husband, wife and 10 year-old child and the wife's cousin, joined later by two other male friends. Brandreth House was first occupied from 11 Jan 1915 by a refugee party of 10, consisting of an engineer, whose works were in Brussels, his wife and two sons, with an uncle and his wife, a sister-in-law and another lady with two small boys, later joined by a sister of the last lady with her son.
Date1914 - 1923
Extent33 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021