RefNoUGW
Alternative Reference number1990/42
TitleUnion Grinding Wheel Company, Sheffield
AdminHistoryThe Union Grinding Wheel, a steam powered wheel, was built in 1817 at the end of Corporation Street, Sheffield (the premises was later listed at Alma Street, Sheffield). The wheel's premises housed some 250 troughs which were rented by individual tenant grinders. By 1836 there were some 50 similar steam grinding wheels operating in Sheffield.

The Union Grinding Wheel continued in operation until 1959, having converted from steam to electric power. In 1959 the buildings were condemned as unsafe and were demolished. The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1964.
DescriptionMinutes, 1932 - 1966 (UGW/1)
Correspondence and Administrative Papers, etc. 1806 - 1967 (UGW/2)
Share Records, 1893 - 1964 (UGW/3)
Accounts/Financial records, 1880 - 1964 (UGW/4)
Miscellaneous, 1776 - 1880 (UGW/5)
Date1776 - 1967
Extent32 items
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialCertificate of five shares in the Union Grinding Wheel Company, 9 Jul 1838 (Wil D/7/5/6)
Assignment of three shares (of a total 476 shares) in the Union Steam Grinding Wheel in Alma Street, Sheffield, 7 Jun 1890 (TT/12/6)
Archaeological reports and photographs relating to sites at Kelham Riverside/Alma Street, Sheffield (includes former Union Grinding Wheel), 2003 - 2005 (X647 acc. 2014/11)
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021