RefNoX310
TitleCocker Brothers Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield
AdminHistoryThe company was incorporated as Cocker Brothers Limited on 17 Apr 1875 for the purpose of purchasing and carrying on the established business of Cocker Brothers, Steel, File, Wire and Tool Manufacturers and General Merchants at works in Nursery Street, Sheffield, and at the Navigation Works, Sheffield Park, Sheffield.

In 1888 Cocker Brothers Limited acquired the business of Marriott and Atkinson Limited, Merchants, Steel Converters and File and Knife Manufacturers, Sheffield, along with their Fitzalan Works.

The company was acquired by Woodhouse and Rixson (Holdings) Limited in 1972. Woodhouse and Rixson Limited merged with Johnson and Firth Brown Limited , Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield, in 1987 to form Firth Rixson PLC.

Firth Rixson PLC merged with Forged Metals Incorperated, Steel and Alloy Manufacturers, California, United States, in 2003 to form Firth Rixson Limited. In 2010 this company continued to operate works and offices on Meadowhall Road, Sheffield under the ownership of a United States private equity firm.
DescriptionX310/1 - Corporate and Management Records
X310/2 - Legal Records
X310/3 - Financial Records
X310/4 - Records of Acquired Companies

The collection consists of the records of Cocker Brothers Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield as acquired by Johnson Firth Brown Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield.

Records of Woodhouse and Rixson (Holdings) Limited, Holding Company, Sheffield (X361) and Johnson Firth Brown Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield (X306) are catalogued separately.
Date1875 - 1972
Extent60 items
LanguageEnglish
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSee also:
Johnson Firth Brown Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield (X306);
Woodhouse and Rixson (Holdings) Public Limited Company (X361).

'Steam, Steel and Lizzie the Elephant' (MD8154).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020