RefNoX313
TitleCoventry Ordnance Works Limited, Ordnance Manufacturers, Coventry, Warwickshire
AdminHistoryCoventry Ordnance Works was a manufacturer of heavy guns, particularly naval artillery, based in the city of Coventry. The company also opened a factory in Scotstoun, Glasgow, in 1910 which made heavy gun mountings.

The company was set with the encouragement of the British Government in 1905 by a consortium of British shipbuilding firms consisting of John Brown and Company Limited (Clydebank), Yarrow (Shipbuilders) Limited, Scotstoun, Cammel Laird Limited, Birkenhead and Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited, Govan.

The firm struggled in the recession after the end of World War 1 and closed in 1925.
DescriptionX313/1 - Corporate and Management Records
X313/2 - Legal Records
X313/3 - Financial Records
X313/4 - Plant and Property Records
X313/5 - Production and Sales Records
X313/6 - Promotional Material
X313/7 - Related Companies

The collection consists of the records of Coventry Ordnance Works Limited, Ordnance Manufacturers, Coventry as acquired by Johnson and Firth Brown Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield.

Records of John Brown and Company Limited (Clydebank), Shipbuilders, Clydebank (X312), John Brown and Company Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield (X308), and Johnson and Firth Brown Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield (X306) are catalogued separately.
Date1905 - 1919
Extent62 items
LanguageEnglish
AccessStatusOpen
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSee also:
Johnson Firth Brown Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield (X306);
John Brown and Company Limited, Steel Manufacturers, Sheffield (X308);
John Brown and Company Limited (Clydebank), Shipbuilders, Clydebank (X312).

Collections at Coventry Archives (PA 742).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020