CodeDS/UK/2053
Dates1894 -
JurisdictionDoncaster
Person NameDoncaster; St. Alban, Denaby Main, Roman Catholic Parish; 1894 -
ActivityA Roman Catholic priest was first appointed in Denaby Main in 1894, and until a local landowner, Andrew Montague, gave an acre of land to build both a permanent church and a school, services took place in a disused schoolroom near the railway. The church was designed by the Bradford architects Elmson and Clarkson. Its foundation stone was laid on 18th October 1897 and the church was opened on 22nd June 1898. A bell tower was added in 1910 and dedicated to Mary Immaculate while the north aisle and Sacred Heart chapel were added in 1911. On 14th March 1911 a Solemn High Mass was celebrated by the Bishop of Leeds, Dr Cowgill, to mark the completion of the church.

The grade II listed church is situated within the Doncaster deanery of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hallam (Liverpool Province).
Corporate NameSt. Alban, Denaby Main, Roman Catholic Parish

Show related catalogue records.

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017