RefNoPR138
TitleSheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul, Anglican Parish
AdminHistoryThe Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul (Sheffield Parish Church) fronts onto Church Street, with Campo Lane to the rear and East Parade and St James Row on either side. The Cathedral Church is in the Diocese of Sheffield. The Bishop of Sheffield has his seat (‘cathedra’) at the church.

The church registers (baptisms, marriages and burials) date from 1560.

A lack of adequate space at the parish church prompted parishioners to raise a public subscription for a chapel-of-ease nearby. The new church of St Paul was built on a piece of land near Pincheon Croft Lane (later Pinstone Street) and consecrated in May 1740. It obtained baptism and burial rights in 1743 and marriage rights in 1848. The Church closed in December 1937 and was demolished in the following year to make was for a new Town Hall extension. The site is now occupied by the Peace Gardens.

The Parish Church was granted cathedral status with the formation of the new Diocese of Sheffield in 1914.

The burial grounds were closed in 1855.
DescriptionRegisters:

Composites (Baptisms, Marriages and Burials), 1560 - 1787 (PR138/1)
Baptisms, 1788 - 1969 (PR138/2)
Marriages, 1754 - 1985 (PR138/3)
Burials, 1788 -1832 (PR138/4)
Registers of Banns, 1754 - 1985 (PR138/5)
Registers of Confirmations, 1922 - 1978 (PR138/6)
Registers of Services, 1861 - 1985 (PR138/7)

Other records:
Daybooks for Registering of Baptisms and Churchings, 1788 - 1874 (PR138/8)
Copies of Ecclesall Parish Registers, 1813 - 1836 (PR138/9)
Copies of St Paul’s (Pinstone Street, Sheffield) Parish Registers, 1813 - 1836 (PR138/10)
Copies of St Simon’s (Porter Street/Eyre Street, Sheffield) Parish Registers, 1856 - 1867 (PR138/11)
Gilcar Parish Registers, 1861 - 1866 (PR138/12)
Churchwardens Records, 1841 - 1970 (PR138/13)
Vestry/Parochial Church Council Records, 1808 - 1966 (PR138/14)
Highway Surveyors Records, 1802 - 1836 (PR138/15)
Peacekeepers Records, 1833 - 1859 (PR138/16)
Financial Records, 1921 - 1967 (PR138/17)
Church Fabric/Building Records, [c. 1770] - 1961 (PR138/18)
Cathedral Council Records, 1936 - 1980 (PR138/19)
Cathedral Chapter Records, 1936 - 1979 (PR138/20)
Church Burgesses Records, 1767 - 1973 (PR138/21)
Cathedral School Records, 1852 - 1946 (PR138/22)
Cathedral Charity Records, 1874 - 1954 (PR138/23)
Cathedral Choir Records, 1892 - 1974 (PR138/24)
Wostenholm Memorial Hall Trustee Records, 1879 - 1948 (PR138/25)
Deeds and Legal Papers, 1704 - 1971 (PR138/26)
Correspondence and Assorted Papers, 1754 - 1993 (PR138/27)
Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings, 1721 - 1971 (PR138/28)
Photographs/newspaper cuttings, etc., [c. 1950s - 1960s] (PR138/29)
Records of other Societies and Associations connected with the Parish Church/Cathedral, 1810 - 1983 (PR138/30

Other records (not listed):

Architect's schedules; 12 rolls of rubbings of leadwork in chancel and Shrewsbury Chapel windows (1990/61)
Date1560 - 1997
Thumbnail

PR138/PR-138-1 (rotate).jpg

Extent559 items
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsSome registers are available on microfiche only.
LevelCollection
RelatedMaterialSheffield Archives:
Plan of pews in the gallery of Sheffield Parish Church by William Fairbank, October 1798 (FB LXXII, pp.60-1)
Records of Sheffield Church Burgesses Trust (CB)
Precis of Work to Windows at the Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul (within phase 1) (precis to accompany the working drawings/rubbings) and Report on work completed to windows at Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul, by Design Lights Stained Glass Studio (1 Chorley Road, Blackrod, Bolton), Dec 1995.

Precis of Work to Windows at the Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul (precis to accompany working drawings/rubbings), report on work completed to windows, and drawings of stained glass window panels by Design Lights Stained Glass Studio (1 Chorley Road, Blackrod, Bolton), Dec 1995 (1996/39).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017