TitleIckleton, Cambridgeshire.
Date1547-1882
Extent45 items
AdminBiogHistoryParish of St Mary Magdalene, Ickleton, Cambridgeshire. Formerly dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but by the mid 18th century, the church had adopted the dedication of the former Ickleton priory.

Ickleton priory was founded in the mid 12th century for Benedictine nuns and was dissolved in 1536. The rectory was probably appropriated to the priory from the latter's foundation and passed to the Crown in 1536. At that time, it consisted only of tithes because the lands of the priory were treated as one manorial estate.

The rectory of Ickleton was granted by the Crown to the Dean and Canons of Windsor ( D & C ) in 1547 as part of the New Dotation. The D & C held the rectory until 1867, when the estates were vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

VCH Cambridgeshire, VI, ( London, 1978), pp. 233, 237, 242-44
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019